Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Astronomy Books For A Beginner?

Hey there,

I recently purchased a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P (8" Dob) and was wondering which are the best books available for learning how to effectively navigate the sky and learn of new and interesting objects I wouldn't have come across before? 

I had "Stargazing For Beginners" by Anton Vamplew and Will Gater purchased for me recently. It's decent enough at setting out the basics but I want something in more detail. I've also requested "Turn Left At Orion" as a Christmas present, which I know is highly recommended by plenty of people. What can folks recommend which would be a nice/useful compliment to those two books?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Books are difficult, it also depends on your actual knowledge.

I like The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion, the book simply presents information as I prefer it.

One point is many books tend to assume a fair degree of knowledge so although many back away from it go get a childs book, sort of 5-8 years. Thinking along of constellation identification, a simple low level book for that is useful. I have adult level sky guides and working out which stars make up a constellation is near impossible in the plates suppiled. Believe me The Janet and John book of constellations is a lot better.

Another simple and immensly option (free) is to get to a club or event for Star Gazing Live, thney should have a small free spiral bound guide.

Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson is the gold standard.   You can then move on to his more advanced The Backyard Astonomer's Guide co-authored with Alan Dyer.  These books are very well written and comprehensive.

Rick

A small easy guide that I found useful:- Gem Stars by Ian Ridpath, Illustrations by Wil Tirion published by Collins.

It has a general introduction followed by illustrations of each constellation together with items of interest in each tailored to small telescope users.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will take a closer look at them online and maybe pick up one or two in the new year.

Don't forget to check what's available from your local Library. 

I would recommend the  "Nortons Star Atlas and Reference Handbook",   look for the latest edition. This atlas / handbook has been around since the 1930s and has been refined over the years, the reading is easy, and there is a wealth of information to help you observe, and all in a single volume.

+ 1 for Night Watch and The Backyard Astronomer's Guide.

The book that I use most now is Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop. Great for planning observing sessions.

I would also recommend Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas.

Avtar

• 1 month later...

Hello, Turn left from Orion can't go wrong and everyone should have a copy, as you have a dob if you do have Telrad fitted the finder charts by Brent Watson are very good and will keep you busy for a long time!!!

TLAO, is to say the least....................an astronomer's "bible". It should be in everyone's collection. I have said in the past that it is a bit over-rated, but for people just starting out and wanting to learn how to star hop................its absolutely about the best. 

The Collins:Gem series of books are also fantastic. The Backyard Astronomer's Guide is also a great book.

Personally one book i hold in very high regard (its the 1st book i bought), is "Astronomy" by Ian Ridpath. I like it because it starts out on a basic level (the history of Astronomy) and as you progress through the book it gets more advanced (Astrophysics............but still on a basic level).

Most if not ALL astronomy books do and will say the same thing and the star charts are all the same. They really are only reference books at the end of the day. As a person new to Astronomy and wanting to learn your way around in easy steps......................I think TLAO is the one that will teach you this.

I have to agree that Turn Left at Orion is worth having. It helped me to get going with star-hopping and gives reasonably accurate renditions of what you can expect to see at the eyepiece of various sized instruments from binoculars to medium-sized dobs. And it doesn't just deal with the more obvious brighter objects. I used it the first time I explored the Coma/Virgo galaxy region and I expect I'll turn to it again this spring. For some reason it is just a lot more straightforward than some other guides. Perhaps its the big pages printed right to the edge that really helps in the field.

I also have a soft spot for Garfinkle's Star Hopping book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Hopping-Your-Visa-Viewing-Universe/dp/0521598893

Some might argue it isn't for beginners, but I'd say that if you are going to find your way around the sky he does a great job of explaining the star-hopping process and at the same time manages to cover a lot of ground (ending with some very useful material for a Messier Marathon). Its the sort of book where you can devote a night to each constellation doing a thorough exploration.

Martin

• 4 months later...

Turn left at orion is a great book for any beginner, I havn't read the other ones you mentioned so I wont comment on those, but 100% get turn left at orion.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for Turn Left at Orion!

That wasn't the first astronomy book I ever bought though was it? No that honour belongs to "The observers book of astronomy" I still own a copy even today.

Archived