SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cluster help.

Hello again.

I have only ever looked at m13 once, when I first got my scope. It's a skyliner 200p dob. I had 25mm and 10mm stock eyepieces, and to be honest I wasn't blown away with the detail. Since then I have bought a 6mm plossl and a 2x barlow lens.

What magnification would you use to get the best out of clusters and are there any other good clusters to view at this time of year UK

I am in the process of getting more eyepieces but money is quite tight with Christmas just around the corner.

Have a merry Christmas everyone :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low power is usually better for open clusters. Other open clusters to go for are M35 in Gemini, M44 (Praesepe, also known as the Beehive Cluster) in Cancer and M67 also in Cancer. If you download Stellarium then you can find more clusters. I find Medium power better for globular clusters but they're not very impressive from light polluted cities.

That's awesome. I'm in the middle of Manchester and Stockport so light pollution is abit of a problem for me. I will try the open clusters mentioned anyway then compare when I next go to the Peak District. I don't have a laptop, just an iPhone. I've downloaded star walk and think it's pretty good but doesn't have everything on there.

Many open clusters are best viewed at lower end powers Ben . Although there's nothing wrong with chucking higher powers at them either .

Globular clusters / galactic clusters as some might call them can generally take high powers . Of course you need to take conditions into consideration.

M13 should be fantastic in your 200p Ben , even under moderate conditions.

Auriga is on its way up and you have three lovely clusters in that, M36, M37 and M38.

I have the same 'scope as you, so I'm surprised you say M13 did not blow you away. Maybe it's the light pollution? It's corking from here!

I start with the 32mm and work my way up to the 14mm, I don't tend to go much higher than that.

Best of luck.

Hi Ben

I felt the same as you but I have a 76 mm ..and viewed Jupiter using a 2x and 10mm ep's , rather small in the viewing window and have since then ordered a 3.6mm plossl to try and enhance things somewhat..but still the sense of awe I felt remains a constant.

Regards Steve_w

Hey Steve.

If it was the light pollution that was a problem I can see M13 being quite spectacular. I remember the first time I looked at jupiter with my 10mm eyepiece my jaw nearly hit the floor. And I still love looking at it with my 6mm plossl or 24mm in 2x barlow

Well the moon has started to reduce its brightness now so should find out soon. I shall comment on my experience.

Hi Ben

I felt the same as you but I have a 76 mm ..and viewed Jupiter using a 2x and 10mm ep's , rather small in the viewing window and have since then ordered a 3.6mm plossl to try and enhance things somewhat..but still the sense of awe I felt remains a constant.

Regards Steve_w

Be careful Steve , I don't know for sure. , but I'd be wary of pushing a scope with 76 mm aperture to much with magnification . You can end up with a larger image yes. , but there's a good chance it will be of poor quality. What does a 3.6mm e /p give you ?

Also, thinking a bit more on the question, there are a whole bunch of nice Open Clusters near Cassiopeia too, given some dark skies (they're not quite as bright). Or M45, but even your lowest power eyepiece probably won't be low enough for that one.

As to magnification - I never really know, I always just start at lowest power and work from there... ...but I seem to remember these being lower power objects.

Cheers Andy.

I think I'll be investing in a 30mm range eyepiece next then.

I have seen an orbinar plossl 30mm on amazon for £15 seems cheep but has good reviews so might be worth a try

If be surprised if that was any good . £15 new .

You'd be better looking at second hand plossls with a good brand like Meade , Gso , revelation ect.

I know that feeling well.

My first upgrade was a Meade 4000 plossl from e bay. . It cost me about twenty quid if I recall and it was great . The low power 32mm is used a lot as a finder and wide field viewing .

I can't see how they can produce a eyepiece for £15 with any sort of quality and I think it would soon be a disappointment and a waste of. £15 of your hard earned.

Yeah I might be best waiting until I have abit more cash then, I'll keep looking on eBay and hopefully find one soon. There are a few threads about the orbinar eyepieces on here and they have mixed reviews. Most of the bad ones if not all coming from people who have never looked through one.

For me globular clusters, like most DSO's will benefit from dark skies. Most handle power very well. I find pushing power right up shows them much better.

The darker one can get the background sky by magnifying the better. I use much higher power than I would for planets to get some separation between individual tsars.I would think 200x should be doable with an 8" scope. Possibly more if the sky is really good and dark.

Good hunting :)

Archived