first post!

Rikkibear

Hi all,

After months/ years of being obsessed with the sky I've finally ordered my first scope (skywatcher explorer 200p, eq-5)

I've joined to get plenty of advice and help which I'm sure I'll need

I would appreciate any suggestions on what extras people would recommend a beginner should buy :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL. Congratulations on your new telescope  :smiley:

I'm sure a lot of people will suggest that you should get used to using it before worrying too much about buying lots of accessories. A Telrad finder might be a worthwhile early purchase though, they are really useful.

Welcom to SGL :)

You have bought the same scope as me so i can tell you from my personal experience that it is a fantastic scope and will give you endless hours of pleasure (sky permitting)

Wishing you clear skies to enjoy your purchase.

See you around.

Lee

Hi Rikkibear, a warm welcome to The Lounge.

As far as extras go, this time of year I recommend some thermal long johns! If you're newish to the night sky, the books Turn Left at Orion, and Cambridge Star Atlas (4th ed) are well worth a go, as is One Minute Astronomer (from Amazon and available on Kindle). A pair of cheap 10x50 bins (eg Celestron G2 for £30 from Amazon) might also good for the Christmas list, as might a copy of Astronomy Now magazine. You've got a lovely scope and mount there, so you might want to consider a T-ring and DSLR to take some astrophotos... And you might want to think about upgrading the Skywatcher stock eyepieces and broadening your collection of different focal lengths eventually... choices choices!

More importantly than any more kit though is to just get out there and enjoy yerself! 

Welcome to SGL

I'd agree that the best things to buy now are the suggested books (Turn Left at Orion is regularly recommended for beginners) and to make sure you have clothes to keep you warm when observing.  Perhaps a telrad as they are exceptionally useful.  The rest can wait until you've got your head around things.

James

Archived