Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars labelled 11000x90

mgsphilip

OK, I got another reply from Foto Prisma, and the coatings seem OK. I have splashed out and ordered one. As postal costs would be 6.75 euro, I have asked a friend to pick it up for me (she lives about 10 miles from Utrecht). I will collect it from her place on December 28, when we visit her on her daughter's birthday. The report will have to wait till then, I am afraid (but then the forecast is for clouds for the coming days.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the starter of this topic, I must add .....

I have tried out a Bushnell 5x-10x zoom Spectator Compact  binocular (  at the lower end of the zoom)  but found that the lack of  individual  eye adjustment ruined the view for me. Has anyone else tried these? They are a solid chunky pair that may work well with younger eyes.

The Hioptic 4x22 binoculars  have individual eyepiece focussing, each eyepiece being focussed by twisting it. They have a blue coating on the outer two  lens surfaces.  

I have more than 50 years experience of using optical equipment and find these binoculars to have a far better image than I expected, for their cost and size.

If you look at the Hioptic website, wide angle binocs page, they claim to have a new model coming out soon. Maybe there will be a new wide angle pair for the www.holgermerlitz.de/  site to review. 

Finally, I am a sufferer of the early stages of Parkinson's Disease and low powered binoculars such as those mentioned in this topic are , in many cases, the only binoculars we can use and hold by hand. 

If you read this and you run a Parkinson's Disease aid support  charity, do try and investigate  binoculars  of this kind. I would keen to meet up with anyone in the London area interested in doing this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the person who started this subject on the forum, I find that the comments portraying these 4x22 binoculars as poor optically  surprise me. What do you expect for the price! What binoculars are you comparing them to?

I started the discussion on  these cheap  extra wide angle binoculars because I was surprised just how good the image they produce is.  I would not compare them in any way to traditional astronomical binoculars.  Cheap and fragile ... Yes!     However they provide a unique  view  with no obvious chromatic aberration and  almost no noticeable tremor when handheld.  The view of meteors through these extra wide angle binoculars is amazing. They are easy to use with their large exit pupil.  I will treat my pair gently and I will enjoy  owning an optically rare pair of binoculars.

Read the comments on the Society for Popular Astronomy Forum .    

http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php?t=16823

As the person who started this subject on the forum, I find that the comments portraying these 4x22 binoculars as poor optically  surprise me. What do you expect for the price! What binoculars are you comparing them to?

I started the discussion on  these cheap  extra wide angle binoculars because I was surprised just how good the image they produce is.  I would not compare them in any way to traditional astronomical binoculars.  Cheap and fragile ... Yes!     However they provide a unique  view  with no obvious chromatic aberration and  almost no noticeable tremor when handheld.  The view of meteors through these extra wide angle binoculars is amazing. They are easy to use with their large exit pupil.  I will treat my pair gently and I will enjoy  owning an optically rare pair of binoculars.

Read the comments on the Society for Popular Astronomy Forum .    

http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php?t=16823

I am not quite sure which comments you mean.

The one I looked through so far (which I sent on to Steve (BinocularSky)) was really good for the money, centre 50% certainly sharp (very sharp considering the money, sharper than your typical 6x24 finder scope), outside it becomes a bit mushy (but no worse than several more expensive ones). I have not been able to use it on the stars yet. There is an issue with internal reflections on bright objects, but collimation was spot on (and bad collimation is much more of a pain than internal reflection). Build quality is not that bad, on the whole; only the centre hinge looks a bit iffy, but should be fine if treated with reasonable care. They are well ahead of most if not all toy binoculars I have looked through. Meteor watching is an application that crossed my mind.

If the kids like them, I might get another two pairs.

As the person who started this subject on the forum, I find that the comments portraying these 4x22 binoculars as poor optically  surprise me. What do you expect for the price!

Firstly, any comments on their quality that I have made have been objectively correct.

Secondly, depends on the price: EUR 6 in Holland, but GBP 59.95 in the UK! Definitely not worth sixty quid!

The view of meteors through these extra wide angle binoculars is amazing.
Meteor watching is an application that crossed my mind.

I'll never say "never", but the idea of meteor watching through binoculars does not appeal to me. I prefer to be able to see as large an area of the sky as possible. (Although I do use binoculars to observe persistent trains.)

Might be a case of somebody dumping a shipment cheaply. I have heard rumour of a new version coming out, so maybe the factory has offloaded stuff cheaply.

That could well be the case & they are certainly stunning vfm at that price!

Archived