SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

35 min M31 from Norway

Xplode

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see i'm still getting comments on my image, thanks guys :)

I have recently bought Pixinsight and have fully reprocessed my image so here's a new version, colors are neutral and it's not processed that much, but at least i got a usable image.

Here's a dropbox TIFF image if someone wants to give it a go on processing it further. 

6b958d57ff51a099fc17a05fbabf663b.1824x0_

i downloaded your Tiff some really nice data in there for the short time. had a mess in CS6 hope you dont mind. sometimes when processing it pays to take a break as we can go a little crazy spending hours infront of the screen :D

post-6284-0-06498300-1392670484_thumb.pn

Very nice.  The first and last image tick the boxes, but for me the middle two are a bit over-processed.

Do take flats - that'll sort your vignetting out and makes processing easier.  It took me a long time to adopt flats but when I did it gave my images the biggest step up since I started guiding...

My scope has a 3" focuser and an almost a fully illuminated field so i don't have to take flats, the corners where there is vignetting isn't usable anyway because of reflections on the edges so vignetting is cropped away. The flats i have tried to take have around 1% difference except in the corners.

Selling your mono kit was a good choice Coco!

With this good quality from just 40 min with a DSLR i don't see any point in CCD unless narrowband imaging or using very costly cameras.

OSC CCD is just pointless compared to a DSLR. A cooled 1100D makes those noisy 8300 sensors look like ancient technology and cost is around the same. Many CCD's are actually ancient technology, the 8300 sensor is around 10 years old and without cooling it would be totally unusably for astronomy work.

I wish there was a company making an astrocamera with a new Canon CMOS (mono with micro lenses) from scratch that has backfocus that allows a filter wheel to be used on all scopes. A camera like this would be a total gamechanger if the price was right.

Sony has some new great sensors that is used in astrocameras, but they are too costly and too small that i think they are a good buy.

An example is the ICX694sensor with a size of 12.5x10mm, the 6D has a sensor size of 24x36mm and total area is actually 7x larger, but costs a lot less even before buying filter wheel and filters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived