Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Henry Draper's first M42

HenryW

It's amazing to think that people in their back yards with off the shelf equipment can take images of objects that were once only visible through the worlds most advanced telescopes. Some images I have seen on this site look like they were taken with hubble, a $2.5 billion dollar spacecraft and they were taken in a field somewhere!

Wow, no idea that image's were being taken so early, any more ?

Henry Draper's photo was taken trough a 11 inch refractor and 51 minute expousure. Unfortunately Henry Draper died 2 years later, only 45 years old.

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

I was lucky enough to spend some time at a professional observatory on Tenerife when I was a student.  They had a CCD on the Carlos Sanchez telescope and so we could sit in the control room and see images rolling in.  It was awesome.  The Carlos Sanchez is a 1.7m scope, and CCDs were brand new technology then.  Now we have sensor technology in almost every phone and - as you say - technology means that we can capture images from our back yards that were probably beyond the reach of professional observatories 30 years ago.  It is astounding.

Archived