Pentax XL 8-24 Zoom V Baader Hyperion 8-24 MKIII Zoom

avtaram

I had a Pentax 8-24mm until recently. It was a well built eyepiece. The field was sharp, the colour was neutral and it had less scattering than most sub £100 fixed eyepiece. The background is darker than the Nikon's MCII zoom. 

The zoom ring was very stiff because of the waterproof sealing. It's not a problem if you used compression ring type eyepiece clamp, but I put a big scratch on the barrel the one time I use it in a diagonal with set screw. From what I read online, it's an upgrade to the Hyperion zoom, but I will not recommend it at the moment. 

Pentax 8-24mm XL is a 6 element design that retails for around £400. Ricoh has a new 9 element 3 group zoom packaged with their new Pentax PR 80mm sporting scope. The new PR-XL 8-24mm zoom has a slightly wider field (43-63deg) and more importantly an RRP of £280. I haven't seen any store selling the new eyepiece yet, may be Ricoh want to clear its stock of old 8-24mm before they start to sell the new one. 

If you are interested in the Pentax, I'd wait for review of the new model. 

If you can't wait and is willing to pay £400 for a zoom eyepiece, I would spend another £100 and get the Leica.

Archived