Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
stardad

Astromaster EQ mount upgarde

Our Astromaster 130 came with an EQ-3 mount with very small motor drivers attached. They have always been a pain in the butt as they jam on the mount itself so we have to use it as a manual movement mount.

As the years have gone by I'd like to upgrade the mount to a better version with motors that work properly.

However with so much choice and the costs of mounts against full packages, plus the extra cloud coverage I'm unsure which way to plump.

EQ-5, CG-4 or a full go-to electric mount.

Suggestions and where I can get a good deal please     

I would opt for the EQ5, simply because the assorted bits available are for the EQ5 and although the CG4 may be compatible or the same I always have the opinion the buying an EQ5 accessory for an EQ5 is safer the buying it for an CG4.

Concerning the EQ3 you could remove the motors, clean the cogs and shafts then reassemble carefully. They may not have been assembled correctly and so you experience problems. Just a thought.

One alternative is the iOptron equitorial mounts.

The choice of EQ5 with motors only or the full goto option is yours to decide.

Concerning the EQ3 you could remove the motors, clean the cogs and shafts then reassemble carefully. They may not have been assembled correctly and so you experience problems. Just a thought.

Its more a question of where the rotating motor fits on the shaft and jams with the main body of the tripod. It can only fit one way. 

I was thinking of the EQ5 originally then adding motors as I could afford them.