Considering a small tabletop scope for portable and kids to use

So far I've come across some decent looking offerings from Orion in this size - StarBlast 4.5 Reflector, StarBlast 80mm Autotracker Refractor, SkyScanner 100mm Reflector.  Reading reviews and user opinions, these are the scopes that seem to do best.

The key points here are: tabletop, easy for kids to use, small storage size, reasonably fool-proof and robust, gets as much out of the small aperture as possible without going silly on price.

I already have decent 5mm, 10mm, 25mm eyepieces so won't be relying on the supplied ones too much.  Nice views of obvious easy targets, as I doubt the kids I have in mind will care about splitting doubles or faint smudges; Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon, Orion Nebula... that sort of thing, but it will be summer time viewing mainly so evening targets if possible up to about 9pm.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with small scopes for summer time viewing?  Any better ones I've missed?

Just didn't want to risk kids running around near my very expensive telescopes.

I like the StarBlast 80mm Autotracker Refractor its got buttons and kids love buttons but i suppose a lot comes down to their age a reflector is maybe not quite a rugged but if you plan any sessions together i suspect they will want something thats a smaller version of what you are using.

Hmm, well, I don't have a dobsonian, and I don't think the tabletop EQ mounts are really that practical for kids.  I do agree that the buttons are exciting for kids and the autotracking apparently works well on that model.  80mm is a decent size too, though the StarBlast 4.5 technically will show more I don't think that's going to be too important.

Archived