SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen 80M

I'm officially now an owner of a long-focus achromat, having just received a lovely Vixen 80m, focal length 910mm (making it F/11.375).

Just mounted it on my AZ-4, and while it's a satisfactory mount for the tube, the OTA actually has to go upside-down to enable me to reach zenith, otherwise the tube hits the mount!

Will have to get camera charged for some pictures, so might be tomorrow.

That makes it 7 scopes by the way ;).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A80Mf? I had the A80Mf with Porta mount .. ahh my first scope.. and still is good for lots of purposes - soon to be fitted as a spectrohelioscope :D

Out classed by the pentax.. but unlike the pentax.. you can lift it and a tripod in one hand with the arm outstretched!

Mine has the 1.25" focuser but there are 2" focuser versions out there - Nick H has a spectacular solar scope using one!

A80Mf? I had the A80Mf with Porta mount .. ahh my first scope.. and still is good for lots of purposes - soon to be fitted as a spectrohelioscope :D

Out classed by the pentax.. but unlike the pentax.. you can lift it and a tripod in one hand with the arm outstretched!

Mine has the 1.25" focuser but there are 2" focuser versions out there - Nick H has a spectacular solar scope using one!

It's just called the 80M, I believe it is an older model.

I had an 80m custom, on its own alt az aluminium slow mo mount, it was a very sharp, very usable telescope, i once took it to galway in scot and found it hard to use due to the milllions of stars it showed , very good on double stars planets and luna 

Lyra ED66, Skywatcher ST80, Skywatcher ED80, Vixen 80M, Skywatcher 130P, Astro-Systems 150P, Skywatcher 250P.

Congrats on a big list Jonathan, I can see a trend developing here. Plot the scopes versus aperture, You know what comes next ( unless you buy a solar scope ) :D

Congrats on a big list Jonathan, I can see a trend developing here. Plot the scopes versus aperture, You know what comes next ( unless you buy a solar scope )  :D

I've already planned what comes next...

14" C14, 18" F/4 Dob, 24" F/3 Dob :D (last two aren't until I move house though).

7+3?

Wasn't 9 scopes needed according to some calculation? :wink:

This is 9, plus the Vixen 80M. Being realistic, I doubt it will be 10 overall, I'll probably re-home several classic refractors at some point, these are just the most likely additions.

Great addition to your stable Jonathan  :grin: ..

I see you have an ED80, it would be interesting to hear about a shootout between the Vixen and the ED80. My guess is that the ED80 will have a bit less CA but that the visual images with the Vixen will be more "pleasing" - especially on double stars..fancy letting us know when you ahve the chance to do a direct comparison?

Enjoy the Vixen, lovely scope, great build and optics :p

Dave

Great addition to your stable Jonathan  :grin: ..

I see you have an ED80, it would be interesting to hear about a shootout between the Vixen and the ED80. My guess is that the ED80 will have a bit less CA but that the visual images with the Vixen will be more "pleasing" - especially on double stars..fancy letting us know when you ahve the chance to do a direct comparison?

Enjoy the Vixen, lovely scope, great build and optics :p

Dave

I will do, I'm very busy at the moment, but when I get around to it I will, it's something I very much look forward to comparing - but will probably be reserved for clear nights when the Moon is more than half full - anything less and I love taking my 10" dob out ;).

I will do, I'm very busy at the moment, but when I get around to it I will, it's something I very much look forward to comparing - but will probably be reserved for clear nights when the Moon is more than half full - anything less and I love taking my 10" dob out ;).

Now sounds like about the right time then, Jonathon :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this thread for you all. First light is going to have to wait until I can get a suitable mount for the OTA, it has to go upside down on the AZ-4 which just doesn't work at all (as the finder has to see through the tripod legs), otherwise it only goes up to about 40-50 degrees :(.

Just thought I'd update this thread for you all. First light is going to have to wait until I can get a suitable mount for the OTA, it has to go upside down on the AZ-4 which just doesn't work at all (as the finder has to see through the tripod legs), otherwise it only goes up to about 40-50 degrees :(.

can you put skywatcher tube rings on the vixen, i did that when i had an 80m

I've clearly been being very thick recently. There were tube rings on it attached to a dovetail, I just never rotated the dovetail until now :rolleyes:.

No problems now :).

Thanks for reminding me Jules :rolleyes:

Archived