SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar image stacking examples/samples

shedifice

Hi all, 

I tried a year ago to image the moon and use software to stack and it was pants.

In an attempt to learn the stacking/image processend,  has anyone produced an image set/collection that newbies can download and use to get their head round registax etc etc. Either an avi or set of jpegs. This would be great as I could sort that end then concentrate on the actual imaging after.

Does this exist or would someone kind offer this so I could have a play before getting the scope and camera out? could even be a thread that newbies could post their own processing efforts and compare to an ideal image as done by a pro in this.

Cheers

Leigh 

It's a great idea which I think was done in a thread a while ago.

I do not seem to be able to find any lunar data, but I am currently uploading an avi with some Ha sun footage, which is very similar to lunar data in terms of processing. An important difference is that the seeing is much worse on the sun so  you will need a smaller % of frames - maybe 10-20%.

I'll give you the link when it's finished uploading it's about 400MB so maybe half an hour?

Andrew

Hi Leigh

This is a side by side example cropped from a full moon image showing of the improvement stacking gives to lunar imaging. This was taken a few years ago when I was using a DSLR instead of a DMK41, it's about 30 frames from a Canon 500D with all the stacking and processing done manually in Photoshop.

Mel

post-4305-0-51881100-1386920774_thumb.jp

Archived