Delos 6mm or ES 5.5mm?

emadmoussa

I was expecting a 10mm Delos, but unfortunately I'm having troubles in the logistics getting the eyepiece delivered. Quite a mess really...

I was thinking since I needed a 5-6mm eyepiece I'd probably use the cash to get an Explore Scientific 5.5mm 100-degree or 6mm Delos 72-degree (I have a good deal on the this one). I lean towards the 6mm since I prefer a little bit less power considering my observation habits and the type of scopes I use. But at the same time I'm tempted by the Explore Scientific massive field of view. Any thoughts?!

IMO, you don't need 100 degrees for anything around that focal length - when all you will be doing is planetary / lunar work. I'd go for the 6mm Delos personally ;).

Just waiting to hear from Optcorp. I'll know whether or not I'm buying locally by tomorrow.  :)

The ES 5.5 is very new contender. Being slightly cautious I tend to wait and see what the early adopters in the USA think before committing. The ES 9, 14 and 20mm were really good but I've read slightly more mixed reports on the 25mm and the 5.5mm may have a quirk or two but we just don't know yet. 

The Delos 6mm though seems to be getting greet reviews from some pretty fussy owners. That would be my choice in the 6mm niche, if I did not already have the 6mm Ethos.

Does being the 1st owner of an ES 5.5mm / 100 on SGL appeal more than the proven excellence of the Delos 6mm ?. Only you can answer that one   :smiley:

The ES 5.5 is very new contender. Being slightly cautious I tend to wait and see what the early adopters in the USA think before committing. The ES 9, 14 and 20mm were really good but I've read slightly more mixed reports on the 25mm and the 5.5mm may have a quirk or two but we just don't know yet. 

The Delos 6mm though seems to be getting greet reviews from some pretty fussy owners. That would be my choice in the 6mm niche, if I did not already have the 6mm Ethos.

Does being the 1st owner of an ES 5.5mm / 100 on SGL appeal more than the proven excellence of the Delos 6mm ?. Only you can answer that one   :smiley:

I don't care about being the first owner. I'm just after quality and good views. I personally lean towards the 6mm...I'll hopefully know soon-ish.

IMO, you don't need 100 degrees for anything around that focal length - when all you will be doing is planetary / lunar work. I'd go for the 6mm Delos personally ;).

Providing the quality of the optics is good, there is the advantage of added drift time in large non-motorised dobs!

Cheers

Thank you!

That's interesting...I think makes the decision for me at least for now. I have the ES 14mm on the way and it's already tested and praised.

Personally I would pay an extra few quid to Telescope House  to keep UK shops in business, as long as it was only a few quid.

I have done it myself once but I don't really agree with this getting stuff from the USA but fully understand why people do, I never know why the playing field is not a bit more level. It seems to be a bit of a money spinner for the GPO though. When I did it though by the time the Bulgarian Customs department had piled on all the dressings it was about the same price so I didn't really gain, it taught me a lesson anyway as my wife spent two hours filling in paperwork, I was in the doghouse afterwards I can tell you.

Alan.

Personally I would pay an extra few quid to Telescope House  to keep UK shops in business, as long as it was only a few quid.

I have done it myself once but I don't really agree with this getting stuff from the USA but fully understand why people do, I never know why the playing field is not a bit more level. It seems to be a bit of a money spinner for the GPO though. When I did it though by the time the Bulgarian Customs department had piled on all the dressings it was about the same price so I didn't really gain, it taught me a lesson anyway as my wife spent two hours filling in paperwork, I was in the doghouse afterwards I can tell you.

Alan.

Interesting comments Alan, and definitely a sentiment I agree with. I would definitely pay a little more to my local store, as they are a great bunch of guys and telescope shops are rare as hens teeth these days.

However, I must say that here in Australia, we get absolutely r*ped and pillaged when it comes to astronomy gear prices. I'm talking at least a 100% mark-up on MANY items. Baring this in mind, I've recently been purchasing a number of thingss from B&H Photo in New York. Provided the total delivery equals less than $1000, import duties don't apply. Just this morning I had a Televue TelePod mount head, a Televue Everbrite 2" diagonal and a Televue 2-1.25" adaptor delivered and the lot cost me $600 delivered. If I purchased the same gear locally, it would have set me back more than $1000. I also have a Televue Starbeam with flip mirror coming (was on back order, so will arrive separately) for $199 as compared to $350 if I purchased it here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting our local guys, but the monopoly on astro gear in Australia is an absolute p*ss take! Considering I only placed my order last weekend, I'd say 5 days is a reasonable time to wait to save almost 50% on gear that probably won't be used for weeks anyway. I wouldn't necessarily flaunt this to my local guys, but to be honest, they regularly earn their fair share from this little black duck! :)

Sorry to take your post off topic, Emad... As you were ;)

Absolutely. It's important to support local businesses. I wasn't intending to do otherwise this time.

The only times I ordered from abroad - mainly Germany - was when I couldn't find the item here. The prices out there are no different actually. Ordering from the US on the other hand + VAT + import tax + shipping ends up the same or more expensive than locally.

I recently ordered an ES 14mm 100-degree from the US simply because I happened to have somebody over there who is coming down to the UK in few weeks and in the UK the price is about £100 more. I'm yet to receive the item though.

Delos 6mm is a great eyepiece (10mm too). I also like the ES100 (having the 20 and 9mm, Ethos 13 in the middle) but since planetary is the 6mm territory I say go with Delos, or Pentax 7/5mm. I decided not to get the ES100 5.5 since I have the Delos there. For more FOV I can always use the ES82s 6.7/4.7 ( a cheap and good option, for you too) or Barlow the ES100 9 @ 1.7x or Ethos 13 @ 2.2-2.5x. All these are proven, the 5.5 is still unknown.

Archived