Narrowband

2 scopes: which for what

Nigele2

So with lots of help here (thank you all for your patience) I'm up an running and all in 2 weeks.  My two scopes (one refractor 60/700 and one reflector 300/1000) certainly are great talking points with family and friends ;), and well pleased with the moon and Jupiter todate even though after 3 sessions haven't actual had perfect conditions yet.

But I would be interested in what I should expect.  Which scope should be better for the moon, planets, DSO (if I can see those with what I've got).

Both came with 25mm and 9-10mm (all 1.25 so all interchangeable).  Both with barlowx2 but can't really see the point yet.  Similarity ends there.

The goto aside should I note a major difference?  Last night the moon looked much the same through both (hazy but definate craters :))?

There are probably too many variables to answer:

How good/bad is the refractor, concerning the reflector is is spherical or parabolic and have you checked collimation.

I assume tha the reflector is 130/1000 (sig) not 300/1000 (post)???

Assuming both are neither special or utter junk, then I could understand the refractor being better on the Moon with a 25mm eyepiece in. The 9mm may be getting too much for the scope, equally it could be good in the scope - bit of chance here depending on the front objective. I would expect it to be sharper and the moonis bright so 60mm is not a draw back.

If the view is good through the 9mm try turning it on Jupiter, and also later try Saturn. The magnification would be 111x and Jupiter should be good and Saturn fair.

A 130/1000 reflector makes me suspect a spherical mirror, so although bigger I could see the image not being as sharp and crisp. It may be fine on clusters.

For either scope I suspect a 12mm or 15mm eyepiece would be useful.

So you are I suspect getting a sharper image through the refractor but little light grasp, and a brighter image through the reflector but less defined/sharp. Which is "preferred", no idea.

For DSOs bigger aperture is always better so the 130mm scope would be first choice. But dark sky is the most important thing so the real issue is which one you would prefer to take to a dark site - the 60mm refractor may be more convenient, and would be sufficient to show all the Messier objects if the sky is dark enough. For moon and planets it's a case of which scope has better optics - try both and see which you prefer.

Ronin for sure 130.    "A 130/1000 reflector makes me suspect a spherical mirror"  It cost 495 Euros but many complained it was over priced for what it was.  Apparently it is the same as a skywatcher but I haven't found for sure a direct comparison.  I suspect the cheaper of the two.

Being a bit dense, or over keen, I've only just realised I can use the goto with both scopes.  So doing a comparison will be easier.  I wondered how I'd get on finding the DSOs with the refractor but with the goto I'll have a fighting chance..

Acey you say dark skies.  I'm lucky I live in a rural village with my patio fairly light free.  But a real dark sky.  Do they occur often?

Well thanks guys I'll try and focus on the moon and try a comparison of my now 4 eyepieces and when I get a real dark night I'll try that Orion Nebula.  And our old friend Jupiter seems to be around at the mo so I'll try counting moons as that seems as good a comparison as any.

Somehow I thought the two would be very different, and perhaps they are, but I don't see it yet  :rolleyes:

For DSOs bigger aperture is always better so the 130mm scope would be first choice. But dark sky is the most important thing so the real issue is which one you would prefer to take to a dark site - the 60mm refractor may be more convenient, and would be sufficient to show all the Messier objects if the sky is dark enough. For moon and planets it's a case of which scope has better optics - try both and see which you prefer.

Cheers

Acey you say dark skies.  I'm lucky I live in a rural village with my patio fairly light free.  But a real dark sky.  Do they occur often?

If you can see the Milky Way naked eye then you've got a dark sky. How often they occur depends on moon and clouds (you don't want either). For planets you don't need a dark sky, so look at those on clear moonlit nights, and save DSOs for moonless ones.

Archived