Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Sky Surfer V RDF

Pig

Looking good:-). You've got exactly the same accessories as me. W/O Carbon diagonal, Baader Quicklock and now the SkySurfer V. Sweet. If my eyes don't deceive me it looks like you have a Hyperion Clickstop Zoom as well. I quite fancy one of those myself. Would be a real godsend when centering an image in the viewfinder. Set it at 24mm then progressively closer, but without the disadvantage of messing around switching eyepieces over. One centered on your chosen object you could change over to a fixed focal length. I think that is the way I am going to go.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good:-). You've got exactly the same accessories as me. W/O Carbon diagonal, Baader Quicklock and now the SkySurfer V. Sweet. If my eyes don't deceive me it looks like you have a Hyperion Clickstop Zoom as well. I quite fancy one of those myself. Would be a real godsend when centering an image in the viewfinder. Set it at 24mm then progressively closer, but without the disadvantage of messing around switching eyepieces over. One centered on your chosen object you could change over to a fixed focal length. I think that is the way I am going to go.

Hi yes it's the baader zoom, not had first light yet with all this low pressure so I can't really comment but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. Fumbling about in the dark with expensive eye pieces makes me nervous so the zoom seems like a good bet. It was all bog standard when I got it at the beginning of jan. I don't want to work out what I've spent on line really. Eek!

Once I've optimised everything hopefully the weather will let me use it! I've got a wing thing coming and want to fit a small GLP somewhere at some point possibly. Not fussed about a focuser upgrade just yet. Oh and bobs nobs are in the post too..

Yeah. Once you start it is difficult to stop. Been there done it myself. Although that is the beauty of something like a telescope as you can upgrade the stock accessories as you go along. Have you got a dewsheild, dew heater yet????? If not then you'll need one for your ota:-)

Yeah. Once you start it is difficult to stop. Been there done it myself. Although that is the beauty of something like a telescope as you can upgrade the stock accessories as you go along. Have you got a dewsheild, dew heater yet????? If not then you'll need one for your ota:-)

Yes the guy sold it with a celestron dew shield and I've since bought a DIY dew controller with 2 ports and 2 dew straps. Nice little box thing off astro buy and sell. Can't wait to get it out with all of these bits. Should be a cracking little scope :)

I have an urge to tune things. At lest this is cheaper than playing with engines (just) :)

post-12512-0-40429200-1389993074_thumb.j

SCT's are dew magnets. I learnt that very early on. Here is a picture of my rig fully set up. Just out of shot is my 12v power transformer which I have in a plastic box just under the tripod. Apologies for the picture being on it's side. I loaded it on the correct way around, but for whatever reason it has come out like this and I don't know how to re-orientate it. 

post-13689-0-61232000-1390040291_thumb.j

SCT's are dew magnets. I learnt that very early on. Here is a picture of my rig fully set up. Just out of shot is my 12v power transformer which I have in a plastic box just under the tripod. Apologies for the picture being on it's side. I loaded it on the correct way around, but for whatever reason it has come out like this and I don't know how to re-orientate it. 

attachicon.gifP1040749.JPG

Very nicely kitted out! I guess I'll be ditching my tripod in favour of an eq at some stage.

Have you upgraded your focuser? Was thinking about a feathertouch or similar.. Maybe a crayford..

Have never been really bothered about that. I do know that you can fine-tune with a feather touch, but i'll stay with what i've got for now. However I am considering the StarSense accessory to fit onto my set-up. I was holding back a little until all the bugs have been ironed out first, but it seems from the reports that I have read that they are pretty close to sorting out the minor glitches. 

There are a few peeps who have said that they have taken their finders off and replaced them with the Starsenses. In some respects the Starsense negates the need for a finder, but I haven't made any decisions yet. I've had my Sky Surfer V for about a year, but it has had very little use. It cost a hundred quid and if I sold it I would only get 60 or 70 back, so I might just keep it and find a way of integrating it somehow. It is more than doable. 

I am also looking at the Celestron Luminos Barlow. I currently have a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow which I bought when I first started out with my 127 SLT, but since I have got the bigger scope and upgraded the diagonal etc it seems a little redundant as it is only a 2x Barlow and also 1.25". The Luminos has 1.25 and 2" capacity which would work very well and it is 2.5x. I would definitely sell the Ultima then. I should get top dollar for that as it is as new.

Malc,

I have kept both the Starsense and the Sky Surfer.

There may be a time when there is no power available to me and I would hate that to stop me being able to observe.

The Sky Surfer also comes in handy if you want to use a named object to perform a fine calibration :smiley:

Both are unlikely scenarios but this hobby has bitten me more than once in the past so I think it makes sense to be prepared  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Skysurfer V and used it for the first time last night (clear skies........I couldn`t believe it!). It needed a bit of credit card inserted under the mount to achieve syncronization with the scope eyepiece. It took a little bit of getting used to, but it seems to work very well..........think I will like it.

• 2 years later...

I must admit, I have just changed my set-up from an SCT with a Telrad to an 81mm Refractor but the Telrad was too big so I bought a Baader Skysurfer V. As others have commented the build quality is superb, or at least it would be if I could adjust the b*****y thing. I spent most of last night playing with the adjusters, in the dome and in the workshop; whatever I did the red dot would not move to align, I really wish the Telrad would fit, despite its pre-historic looks it worked a treat. To get any sense of alignment I ended up pulling and pushing the bracket with bits of card and plastic underneath to get some semblence of alignment, NOT how I normally operate.

For a finder costing this amount of money it may go back, very, very disappointing.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

very surprised to hear this, I have two and neither have this issue.

how were you adjusting it? there are two screws hidden under circular covers that you unscrew to reveal them. There is plenty of adjustment available.

have you possibly mounted it the wrong way around?

- the dial with the brightness numbers on should be at the back of the scope.

Lastly, check the "v bracket" is the right way around, straight leg at the back & angled leg at the front. There is a pic in the instructions - compare the bracket legs to the location of the brightness adjustment dial (which is the back)

Otherwise, I would contact the supplier for a replacement, seems there was someone else earlier in this thread where the adjusters did not move the laser :( 

Alan

18 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Mike,

very surprised to hear this, I have two and neither have this issue.

how were you adjusting it? there are two screws hidden under circular covers that you unscrew to reveal them. There is plenty of adjustment available.

have you possibly mounted it the wrong way around?

- the dial with the brightness numbers on should be at the back of the scope.

Lastly, check the "v bracket" is the right way around, straight leg at the back & angled leg at the front. There is a pic in the instructions - compare the bracket legs to the location of the brightness adjustment dial (which is the back)

Otherwise, I would contact the supplier for a replacement, seems there was someone else earlier in this thread where the adjusters did not move the laser :( 

Alan

AHAH! perhaps therein lies the problem, I have my dial with the brightness numbers at the front?, in fact I have got the whole thing the wrong way round, I did read the instructions (honest) but thought they were poor,  dumkoph!!

Current set-up in photo, I will change it this morning and hope for a clear night. Thanks Alan

Regards

Mike

PS. I love this site!!

DSC_1084.jpg

This other photo shows my other aiming aid a "military" laser, absolutely superb once set.DSC_1079.jpgDSC_1079.jpgDSC_1079.jpg

OOPS don't know what happened there and cannot delete!

Click on the smiley face icon ( next to bold,italic,underline ) above the edit box where you type your message to open the "chooser"

Then click "categories " in the top right to make them all appear so you can choose one from the whole set

Archived