Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"Black Mustang" or B33

mareprah

My first real attempt of Horsehead nebula. Keep in mind, I'm using an unmoded cam, so the "reds" are kinda pushed to the edge in photoshop.

Also I forgot to take darks in the second set of lights, so there is some noise that I am not pleased with. Image was cropped a bit, and downsized.

INFO:

1st set: ISO 1600, 18x6min light
2nd set: ISO 800, 23x6min light
7 darks
12 flats
41 offsets

Camera: EOS 1000D - unmod.

Scope: QUATTRO 10" CF f/4 mounted on NEQ6 SS Pro

Thank you for looking.

post-27813-0-73548500-1386792498_thumb.j

I do think you need to get Alnitak under control. I'd try layers.

One possibility; Linear image, copy layer. Slight stretch of the top layer. Large feathered erasor to take off the top Alnitak. Further stretch of the top, slightly smaller eraser, take off the top Alnitak. Etc etc.

Olly

I do think you need to get Alnitak under control. I'd try layers.

One possibility; Linear image, copy layer. Slight stretch of the top layer. Large feathered erasor to take off the top Alnitak. Further stretch of the top, slightly smaller eraser, take off the top Alnitak. Etc etc.

Olly

Could you please explain the following?

Linear image(Is this a Photoshop blending option?) If not Photoshop, please disregard

Fethering(Photoshop option?)

and Erasor (Photoshop?)

------------------------

If not PS , i would very much like to know what program you are refering to :police:

Could you please explain the following?

Linear image(Is this a Photoshop blending option?) If not Photoshop, please disregard

Fethering(Photoshop option?)

and Erasor (Photoshop?)

------------------------

If not PS , i would very much like to know what program you are refering to :police:

In general if someone doesn't specify the programme it's Photoshop. Sorry not to have been clear.

Linear = unstretched, straight from the camera. Such an image is roughly photometric so the brightness it presents are the real brightnesses. You don't see much more than stars until the image is stretched by modification to the histogram, the fanit signal being boosted more than the bright.

I'm recommending a series of partial stretches with the removal of the stretched Alnitak at each iteration.

The Eraser is a Ps tool and can take off a layer. It can be feathered, meaning it is only slightly effective at the edges, gradually becoming more effective towards the centre.

A reduced Alnitak, in my view, would let your excellent nebulosity stand out more.

Olly

My first real attempt of Horsehead nebula. Keep in mind, I'm using an unmoded cam, so the "reds" are kinda pushed to the edge in photoshop.

Also I forgot to take darks in the second set of lights, so there is some noise that I am not pleased with. Image was cropped a bit, and downsized.

INFO:

1st set: ISO 1600, 18x6min light

2nd set: ISO 800, 23x6min light

7 darks

12 flats

41 offsets

Camera: EOS 1000D - unmod.

Scope: QUATTRO 10" CF f/4 mounted on NEQ6 SS Pro

Thank you for looking.

Excellent capture for a DSLR, well one. As well as following the advice from Olly and others regarding the control of the blooming of Alnitak there seems to be a sattelite trail at the top of the image, use SD ( Sigma ) stacking  to remove the trail. Great image  though none the less.

Regards,

A.G

The intensity of Alnitak called to my mind that it - and all stars - are other Suns. Maybe it could be toned down a little, but I do like the way the intense brightness is set against the surrounding nebulae.

Archived