Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pointing the right way

Puffafish

A couple of weeks back I was in deepest darkest Dorset, with some pretty good skies. As I didn't have my 'scope with me, I used my camera to try and get some shots of a few of the more obvious things; Cassiopeia, Orion, the belt of the Milky-Way.

These pictures didn't turn out too well, which was partly due to me, partly due to the camera but mainly due to the camera not pointing in the right place!

Using a tripod and long exposure (10-15 seconds), I managed to get some clear shots of the stars, but none of what I wanted. Using the view-finder or the LCD screen, all I saw was black, as there just wasn't enough light for the camera to pick anything up, so I couldn't aim it properly.

So, can anyone give me advice as to how to aim my camera at a constellation (for instance)?

(The only way I can see to do it myself is to mount the camera on my telescope and point that at what I want, then take the picture. But can't really do that if I haven't been able to bring my scope with me)

(Camera is an old FinePix S602Zoom)

Make sure you have the zoom set ALL THE WAY OUT to 35mm.  And set the ISO to 800 also.  That will help you, some.

It says if is f2.8 at 35mm, which is not too bad, but it's not that good either.  Not quite fast enough for only 15 second exposure.

I have difficulty getting good images with a 50mm F1.8 at 15 seconds.

Again, widen zoom all the way out, and set to ISO800.

Archived