Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What has the BBC done to the Sky at Night Now!! A new presenter!

reddoss

Maybe give the woman a chance to present the show and then comment about liking it or not!!!

We clearly needs a spell of clear skies - 'cause you lot would argue about anything once its been cloudy for a little while.

Ant 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you lot would argue about anything once its been cloudy for a little while.

No we wouldn't.

Oh, hang on, since it's December I'll get into the spirit of things and then all the boys and girls can join in.

Oh no we wouldn't.

James

Maybe give the woman a chance to present the show and then comment about liking it or not!!!

We clearly needs a spell of clear skies - 'cause you lot would argue about anything once its been cloudy for a little while.

Ant 

Here speaks the voice of reason, well said Ant, this young lady has been chosen to present the sky at night, just for once lets give the person a chance to demonstrate their ability's

who knows, we may just happen to like her style 

Not at all , I'd like to think that the furore generated by the rumours of the program's scrapping and the on-line petition that followed had an influence in the subsequent decision to continue making it.

My gripe is with the whingeing about the choice of presenter , are you suggesting that we have another petition every time Auntie decides to change something ...?

Whoever fronts the program is going to face inevitable comparisons with Sir Patrick  , an unenviable position for anyone to find themselves in .

I for one welcome the fact that the show will have an enthusiastic scientist at its helm , we could have been lumbered with a mindless smile with little or no interest in the subject .

I have nothing against the choice of presenter.  I gave her my best wishes in her new challenge in an earlier post.

My point is that we should be allowed to question something if we don't understand the logic behind it.  If we stop questioning things because one or two tell us to stop, then where does that leave us?

Would Professor Allan Chapman fit at the front end of The Sky at Night ?

I like the guy, he has plenty of personality, knows the history of many astronomical giants of the past,

although I don't know the extent of his Astronomical knowledge.

He had to have surgery on his throat some time back, and I don't know if it would be a factor.

I've heard him speak  at Astrofest, and came over quite well. Besides, he would have guests

just like Sir P. did, to do most of the talking.

hi just to butt in again i don't think anyone is questioning her enthusiasm or qualifications it is purely based on the previous programs that she has done that her presentations skills are being called into question, hopefully the BBC will work on those with her and all will be fine 

I'm looking forwards to Maggie's first episode. I immediately watched the Moon documentary to remind myself of who she was.

For those who have commented about her delivery style, remember that the S@N isn't an hour long documentary requiring constant narration. It think she'll do just fine. Passionate about the Moon and astronomy, started at grass roots level; as previously mentioned, made her own mirror and telescope, and worked her way up to become a respected scientist. Quite different to Patrick in some ways, but very much the same in many others.

Stop trying to write her off before she's spoken a single word on the next show. Watch a few episodes, and if you still don't like it, then write to the BBC, with your alternative scientific/amateur astro presenters or just switch off. I can't imagine any of the presenters are doing it for the 'vast wealth' showered upon them by the BBC. I'd say passion for the program and subject has much to do with those involved.

Blimey, she doesn't have a Twitter account? (It can't last) - I like her more and more! :)

Where will we go for "lifestyle tips" we are accustomed to receive from TV scientists? :p

Old fashioned perhaps, but M.A-P seems to be embody the *emphasis on the science*

I still prefer. And mercifully (despited "colourful characters"!) long the S@N tradition? ;)

OK just heard the news about Maggie Pocock. I think she's a bit of an inspired choice actually - and I was one who wasn't that bothered about the demise of S@N.

But I seem to have missed when the BBC changed its mind about the programme. Last time I heard anything it looked like it was going to get the chop.

When and why did they change their minds?

Could be worse.  Could be one of the cast members from TOWIE.

As for me, I will reserve judgement on what style the presenters have.  Would I have had someone like Culshaw presenting it?  Nope.  Personally he seems too smug and his manner seems to flow outwards compared to Lintott who stays there and stands talking.  Abel, Lawrence and Lintott make it a good program.  You get differing views and something different.

But be glad the BBC is continuing on the programme.  Rather than have it dead and only a footnote in TV history it is continuing.  That is why we need to keep the series and tell the BBC if it was good or bad.  They may not have an idea of how to do this type of show so we are in effect the focus group for the show.  We are the ones that watch it.  Maybe the BBC should refer to us on what elements are needed to keep it going.

For now it is wait and see.

They should have some idea after 50+ years for pity's sake ....  :rolleyes:

The ideals of viewers have changed as much as technology.  One time I did not watch it for 10 years and saw first time back, animations from computers.  That got me hooked.

But the S@N does have to change or get left behind.  Once that happens, then it is a footnote of history never to be redone.

Blimey, she doesn't have a Twitter account? (It can't last) - I like her more and more! :)

Where will we go for "lifestyle tips" we are accustomed to receive from TV scientists? :p

Old fashioned perhaps, but M.A-P seems to be embody the *emphasis on the science*

I still prefer. And mercifully (despited "colourful characters"!) long the S@N tradition? ;)

Excellent, If she doesn't have a Facebook account either, then I'll vote for her. Twice :grin:

Ron.

Blimey. This announcement has certainly divided opinion. The woman's credentials are not open to question. I for one am looking forward to seeing her in action. Then people can then make an informed opinion. She has a bit of a eccentric Patrick Moore style, and her delivery is a little quirky, but at least the Beeb have chosen someone with an in depth knowledge of all things astronomical rather that some dolly bird with the intellect of a knat.

Personally I would like to see a new feature in the program (may be once very two months or so) on astro-imaging tips and guidance, from Pete Lawrence and also from others e.g Damian Peach.

I may be wrong but my impression is that the advent of digital imaging (combined with computer controlled tracking of mounts) has brought more people in to and to stay with astronomy than any other factor over the last ten years or so.

It is also probably the one interest area of modern astronomy that beginners struggle with the most. It's not known as 'the dark side/art' for nothing.

These are purely my own views.

That's a very good point.

yeah most of the time she'll probably just be the anchor woman doing links between different segments of the programme.

anyway science on tv can be very blokish at times so it needs  a few more female presenters to balance things up a bit.

Anyhooo,

Me thinks SGL should produce its own monthly video magazine :)

With the talents gathered herein it would be broadcast quality!

I'll give that idea for free but don't expect me to help. I don't have a camera and I'm chronically camera shy. No use either side :D 

Archived