Narrowband

First light with the 28mm MV

Daniel-K

Last night was first light for the 28MM MV at last. a few of us ended up at out local dark site about a half hours drive from were i live. after it went dark it clouded out for around hour then it was intermittent cloud and the seeing wasn't the best only 5/10 so only the bright clusters were on my list. the first object i tried was the double cluster.It easily fit it in with room to spare although the sky was not as dark as it is in my18MM ES but this could have been down to the moon and slight haze. The EP preforms remarkably well at F4.5! there's some coma on the edge but its no more than 15% inwards from edge, this was very surprising as i thought the edges were going to be like mush.star were really sharp and colorful and no internal reflections. Any way i had the 28MM in the scope most of the night and it was a joy to use. probably the best bang for buck EP i have ever came across.  The flat eye guard is very comfy when you set it right, there's no blackouts either no matter were your head is positioned.i will most likely buy a few more of these before they get snapped up.

Dan :cool:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 24mm and 16mm, they are great.

The 16mm lives in the Barlow most of the time because the 75x magnification is far too close to the 24mm at 50x.

The 16mm MV should make a good pairing with your 28mm.

I have the 34mm and it is quite great. I just received the 24mm too but I havent been able to test it yet. Hopefully tomorrow is clear. 

I have the 34mm and it is quite great. I just received the 24mm too but I havent been able to test it yet. Hopefully tomorrow is clear. 

for the performance for the price i think its the best ive used. would highly recommend to any one

I have the 24mm and 16mm, they are great.

The 16mm lives in the Barlow most of the time because the 75x magnification is far too close to the 24mm at 50x.

The 16mm MV should make a good pairing with your 28mm.

A word of caution - not sure if this would apply to your scope. but I have the 16 & 24mm's. Great eyepieces but in my scope the 16mm eye relief is tight even without glasses. If you are OK with that. Fill your boots!!

Paul

Yes i have the 28mm Meade version,and it is a really great eyepiece and as you say these MV eyepieces wont be around for long.

The 20mm is also an excellent eyepiece very sharp and comfortable to use. I have just bought the 24mm and 16mm MV's but hav'nt

had a chance to really use them yet,but have no doubt they will be as good.

for the performance for the price i think its the best ive used. would highly recommend to any one

Dan,

Don't forget these were over 200 quid when they had a green band around where a silver one now sits, in fact Telescope House still have it on offer at 216, which is less than I paid for mine 5 years ago.

Alan

Value is a funny thing.

I had the full set of the Meade branded SWAs which we all assume these are, and why not. When I came to sell them I had them on offer at, lets take the 24mm which I believe I offered for 100 quid on Astro B&S for some time, not even a nibble. It was only when I dropped to, I think it was 85 quid and placed it on here that I sold it. Now for an eyepiece that was  about 169 pounds new I don't think the ask was excessive at all but I found myself off loading them for less than 50% of there new price. I don't know exactly how much these cost now under the Maxvision flag but everybody seems to be snapping them up, its funny how a few pounds difference can make all the difference to a sale and to peoples opinions on the value of an eyepiece. I thought they were good at the new prices as at the time Televue Panoptics were much more but a little better.

BTW nice report and sorry I didn't state so beforehand.

Alan

The urge to resist ordering one of these is very hard, seeing the missus offered on for Xmas if I really want one, but seeing I can't afford another eyepiece myself this month  with the pentax already in the bag. 

Time will tell, I'd be disappointed if that offer sold out though, I may just mail them and check. Will they just say what they want to say ?  Yes, stock is low, you better buy while you can

Time to ponder, but best not to have  a drink and visit the explore scientific site during it, or I could end up with a little family of them :D

The Xmas tree is doing well, but the missus santa has done the right thing, one 28mm incoming. I only know because she could not be bothered with the hassle of ordering it, so she asked me to do it, a small penalty to pay I'd say :D

Archived