Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st viewing of the moon through my new telescope... Yeah HOO!!!

FlareStar

I'm back, finally, after all that snowstorm Rubbish, and even though it was like 20 degrees, it was a clear sky, and the moon was viewable for the first time since I got my telescope.  I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to find it, but I did, finally, and it was incredible!  I got to see all the little craters; it felt like I could reach out and touch it.  I was so amazed.  It's hard to explain how I feel when I finally get to see a planet, star, moon, etc up close.  I know it's there, but when I get to actually see it or see it up close, it makes me feel like nothing else matters.  All the silly problems I have.... too much to do at work, all the Christmas shopping and getting together with the dysfunctional family, all of that worry and stress is meaningless.  There are billions of stars just in our galaxy and there are god knows how many galaxies in the universe.  I'm an infinitely small part of that.  At the end of the day, whatever I'm going through probably won't matter next month or next year.  Space puts things into perspective.  So happy I finally get to see more of it!

My first view of the moon was the same, a real wow experience. To see something so clear that is that far away is awesome.  You will get better at finding things, it takes practice. Looking at stars out in space does give our little lives a new perspective. I am a Christian and think it is so cool to see what God has made, " the heavens are telling the glory of God" !  It is a great way to escape from lives troubles, I agree. Have fun out there.

I'm back, finally, after all that snowstorm Rubbish, and even though it was like 20 degrees, it was a clear sky, and the moon was viewable for the first time since I got my telescope.  I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to find it, but I did, finally, and it was incredible!  I got to see all the little craters; it felt like I could reach out and touch it.  I was so amazed.  It's hard to explain how I feel when I finally get to see a planet, star, moon, etc up close.  I know it's there, but when I get to actually see it or see it up close, it makes me feel like nothing else matters.  All the silly problems I have.... too much to do at work, all the Christmas shopping and getting together with the dysfunctional family, all of that worry and stress is meaningless.  There are billions of stars just in our galaxy and there are god knows how many galaxies in the universe.  I'm an infinitely small part of that.  At the end of the day, whatever I'm going through probably won't matter next month or next year.  Space puts things into perspective.  So happy I finally get to see more of it!

Good to see you had a nice time viewing. If one day you get the chance to have some binoculars look at the moon then. It is worth it. You can see so much detail and view it better.

I absolutely love looking at the moon,I spent nearly an hour Monday night,I could see mountains like the Himalayas lol

Even with a moon filter it was bright.It's my fav object because it's so easy to locate and so much to look at.

I have yet to locate Nebula's.. Only seen Jupiter and Venus so far..

Hi FlareStar, have to agree, the moon is a fantastic target.  I got myself a few lunar books and have been learning a bit about the lunar 100

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/3308811.html

though it's less about ticking numbers off a list and more about understanding what I'm looking at (I hope - early days for me).

btw, if you had a hard time finding the moon, have you got your finderscope aligned properly? A red dot one is fantastic for taking the hassle out of that sort of thing too.

Archived