Celestron 127mm reflector?

The Powerseeker 127 isn't one of their better telescopes. The 127 has a focal length of 1000mm compressed into a shorter tube. The Bird-Jones reflector has a spherical primary mirror and a lens built into the focuser to correct the focal length and spherical abberations. The telescope is mounted on a CG2 (EQ1) equatorial mount which may be a little light for it.

Might be able to get my hands on one of these 2nd hand, any opinions?

It all depends on how much it was for sale for, I owned one and paid full whack for it from a popular store. It wasn't the greatest but it definitely got my interest going, In my opinion if you could pick it up for about 50 quid it may be worth having. Despite its negative points its still a usable scope. 

It all depends on how much it was for sale for, I owned one and paid full whack for it from a popular store. It wasn't the greatest but it definitely got my interest going, In my opinion if you could pick it up for about 50 quid it may be worth having. Despite its negative points its still a usable scope. 

.........£50 or less.  Moon looks ok, 4mm eyepiece almost unusable.  Jupiter, no detail?  Likewise I was able to obtain this scope  very cheaply in October of this Year. Its performance is poor compared to my Skyliner. But fired the interest, I also got some decent Books which made the deal.  I did not like all the messing with the EQ mount. If you were nearer I`d give you mine? I tried a BST lens but the scope lets it down? BST's are brilliant on the Skyliner.

Yeah I wouldn't go much over that if I were you. It will allow you to see Saturns rings, banding was visible on Jupiter. I got a couple of better barlows and a Zoom eyepiece to replace the stock ones with, and also a red dot finder as the stock one is pretty useless. I even got some webcam imaging done with it, nothing outstanding but a great chance to experiment.

The 127eq gets a bad rap, but I think as a starter scope for basic astronomy and looking at the more nearby targets you could do a lot worse. I have a picture of mine sitting alongside my 200p explorer and it brings back fond memories of seeing Saturns rings for the first time.

Archived