sky's the limit UHC

robbieboy

Im contemplating buying a uhc filter, I've notice sky's the limit have their own branded one for £40, does anyone have one and would you recommend it? Never bought any filters before so don't actually know how many objects i can use it on. Any help will be appreciated, Rob.

I have the STL UHC filter and am very happy with it, it is the only filter I own so far though, so how it compares to the 1.25 inch skywatcher for example I do not know, which many recommend at a few pounds more.

Worth noting, as I cannot find the transmission curve for the sky-watcher filter, as filters go and comparing it to other UHCs, the STL UHC is a a relatively broadband filter, this filter is especially useful in smaller aperture instruments, but I find it works well in my larger Dob too. To give an example  when you look at the Orion nebula, it brings out that extra bit of that bit structure against the background. Useful when there is partial crescent moon too but not too overpowering, I tested it on M27 the day I got it with such sky conditions extensively, where without the filter it allowed me to see that extra bit of detail instead of it looking like a little puddle of very faint milk :smiley:   

Overall don't expect too drastic changes from this filter though, overall  it enhances things when used on the right objects, but in quite a subtle way in most cases. IMO  this filter it does what it says on the tin,  and what a broad UHC filter should do. When I read up on filters in general, when I got it to try this one out,  it met my expectations well.

Alan is a very helpful bloke, I did not ask him on the phone as it happens, but give him a call or post him a mail. I am sure if he used others he'll give you an indication what he thinks personally.

Archived