SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally got my scope + a question

Mizuko

Yay, yesterday I finally got my telescope, SW Explorer 150p. Cold evening, but I quickly set up the mount and the scope and went outside to -17C.

Hands a bit icy, I got to see the moon and some fabulous details and also Jupiter and 2 moons with 10mm EP. I combined it with Barlow 2x, but dropped the eyepiece in snow and that was it for the evening :D

I did see some nice details from Jupiter also, blurry two bands etc... But I would like to know, if you guys would have some recommendations for best planetary EP, in reasonable price? (meanining around 50-70$ / 60 euros). As we say in Finland, the more you eat, the hungrier you get - as a rough translation :D Now unfortunately the next clear skies according to forecast, are on the weekend.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with my scope, needed some little adjusting and started to wonder if the goto would have been cool, but for now like this... :D

Also need to get an adapter for my scope to use my slr cam. I have the T2 thread, but I want to take pictures trough the eyepieces, apparently you need another one for that...

Thanks guys!

These would be a useful upgrade from the standard eyepieces supplied with the scope -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

Just a thought, do you take the scope out from a warm house? if so you will find it performs better after it's had 30 min or so to acclimatise to the -17c  :smiley:

Thanks Alien13 :) I actually contacted telescope-express today, where I got the scope and they recommended the EP projectors and I ordered one today.

I got one that is a bit inexpensive one and see if that works well.

Thanks Laurie & roni for the links, I will check those EP's out!

And yes, the scope was out for 40mins before I started to use it, but there was a very cold wind, so that might have disturbed the view. Also I myself was shivering probably in the wind, so not the best time to start, but fortunately in the weekend there will be -2C and clear skies, so better luck then :)

As Ron says, the BST starguiders are good value for money and are very comfortable to use, I have 4 already and plan on completing the set with the remaining 2 because I like them so much. Also the seller in Ron's link has a good reputation and is very trustworthy, I have used the ebay store a lot of times now. It also quotes free postage to Finland when I put it in the calculator, but if you did go to buy them I would mail him first just to check that the postage is definitely free.

I am sure whatever eyepiece's you buy you will enjoy the views! :smiley:

........I've only ever seen one second hand, and I bought it. the 25mm? They used to be called Explorers, but it depends on the sellers. There are also lenses of same build  with these names,  Astrotech Paradigm, N-ED, Olivon ED and Orion Epic to name but a few. BST'`s I believe are the cheapest, but that does not reflect any downward turn in quality. They are very good. 

As Charic says there are sold under a few names, StL being I think the least expensive.

As you are in Finland I am note sure about shipping there ans as I see you have purchased from TS they also sell the same eyepieces. They appear to have them branded as TS and are the "TS ED Okular" at 74 Euro each. Means about 14 euro more then here in the UK but if StL have a problem shipping, then you can go back to TS for the same ones, just a bit more in cost.

Are you sure at -17c you didn't start icing up ?

At least dropping the eyepiece in snow meant it didn't hit anything too solid.

Would I be correct in guessing you get a lot of aurora up where you are?

Thanks ronin :)

No icing up, since I did see the moon very well. And the barlow is okay, it just got a bit snowy and yes, it dropped to a very soft snow :)

Though I just set up the scope and wanted to take a quick look. I will try again this Friday when here should be clear skies. But I used the 10mm EP that came with the scope, so it prolly isn't the best one available... I guess I will find out the difference if/when I try the ep's you guys suggested. And I did not get to try out the barlow, cause it was all snowy and I wanted to take it inside before it ices and maybe breaks. Better luck next time :D

Archived