740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

00 dob base

just almost secured a deal on a vx14 second hand, phoned 00 about a dob base and they said if i was lucky i could have it the end of jan :eek: , spoke to the owner barry what a unfrendly chap. anyone no were i can get one, as i was hoping to pick the ota up friday but no good without a base, thanks guys/gals

telskop service appear to have 350mm in stock, they are OO dealers in mainland europe

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4997_Orion-UK-Dobsonian-mount-for-350mm-aperture-Newtonian-Telescopes.html

try contacting them before you order, they're usually quite quick with emails. shipping never been too bad to sweden, not sure what UK would be

edit: i should add i'm not sure what the set up between the 2 companies is. dunno if ts just orders of OO. however if they do and the production stream is set up that way it might be quicker than a personal order

Edited by username
  • Like 1

telskop service appear to have 350mm in stock, they are OO dealers in mainland europe

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4997_Orion-UK-Dobsonian-mount-for-350mm-aperture-Newtonian-Telescopes.html

try contacting them before you order, they're usually quite quick with emails. shipping never been too bad to sweden, not sure what UK would be

thank you jim, thats great i will contact them now and report back

I had exactly the same from OO - £400+ for a base, a full set of rings mandatory even though I already had some and it will be ready when we feel like it  :sad:

I was lucky - a fellow SGL member made me a custom base that is modeled on the OO one but is better (IMHO) and much less costly. 

• Like 1

If it came to it, that is unless you decide to make your own i.e. get some advice, support on how to go about this from members here, then you could always wait until the end of Jan (not that long in the scheme of things) and undertake a few small projects in the meantime. These could include flocking the upper part of the tube, getting the fan working via a suitable power rigg, fit a telrad or similar, etc. If you still have your 9.25, use that for now.

Edited by scarp15

I had exactly the same from OO - £400+ for a base, a full set of rings mandatory even though I already had some and it will be ready when we feel like it  :sad:

I was lucky - a fellow SGL member made me a custom base that is modeled on the OO one but is better (IMHO) and much less costly. 

who was that john, was it shane

OK, just seen your add Mike. Do you have a pair of binoculars you could use in the meantime?

If not then a pair could be useful anyhow, for using whilst the dob is cooling and for panning the sky searching for targets.   

When it's done well though the DIY dob mount works superbly well. I was using 400x on the Moon last night and mount handled it beautifully. A sharp rap on the scope tube dampened out almost immediately. Goodness knows how much an EQ mount that would hold a 12" F/5.3 tube assembly that well would cost !

hi again iain, spoke to ts optics in germany, they have the mount and the brake but no tube rings so i need to source them now, nothings easy is it, cheers buddy

Right, you could get back to OOUK and ask if they have the tube rings, might just be the mount that they are currently short of.

Have you tried talking to Barry Watts at Beacon hill Telescopes? He's a real nice bloke and he can make anything to order just about.Worth a try.

spoke to barry today/just what a gentleman absolute star asked him a bout a mount he said he could make one but it would be about 1k but things it would be overkill for a 14" but worth while on something like a 18" upwards, so that rules that out. spoke to the owner of the ota and he said it has tube rings but would need the adaptors to fit it to the 00 base, what are these ? he doesnt no either but said its only the rings

.... spoke to the owner of the ota and he said it has tube rings but would need the adaptors to fit it to the 00 base, what are these ? he doesnt no either but said its only the rings

I expect he means what OO call radius blocks. OO tube rings are basically flat bands that go around the tube. They don't have moulded flat spots for fitting dovetail bars etc so you need two blocks on each ring to create these flat areas to attach the alt bearings for the dob mount too. The OO blocks are cast but I guess you could improvise something from wood.