Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help on getting started

Hi to all 

first of all thank you for all the welcomes , on the welcome page  :rolleyes:

my daughter got me a telescope a couple of months ago, and it seems to be a (celestron nexstar 80 gt) its not new but in 

good condition and it had a hand control with it but not sure if that works as i have no idea on how to use anything 

like that :huh: 

it has one eyepiece , all that it says on it is (celestron 25) i guess it is a basic eyepiece 

i use to have a telescope 40 odd years ago :laugh: and really want to get to back into looking into the night sky

i am at a lost to upgrade the eyepiece and need your expert help in deciding what will be best to get.

basically the best value for money.

there is so much to take in with the eyepieces and i am getting confused lol what make what strength a zoom eyepiece etc

was looking at the Hyperion Zoom Mk.III out of my price range at the moment,  but instead of buying a few eyepieces to 

save up and get this one.

your the experts please let me know what you think 

TONY

Hi Tony, one of the best reasonbly priced ep's on the market is the 60 degree BST Explorer/StarGuider available from 'Sky's the Limit' or 'Sky's Unlimited' on Ebay, also Alan, the proprieter is an excellent guy to deal with, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbst+starguider&_nkw=bst+starguider&_sacat=0&_from=R40

You cannot get better anywhere.

Will say that I suspect you are going to have to get used to finding out how the system works, the scope is a goto and I think that it has to be aligned to do anything.

Eyepieces, again consider the BST's. The scope is basically the ST80 which is f/5.

On bright objects there will be some colour fringing, but the field oif view is wide and with a 25mm eyepiece, or bigger, 32mm, finding things should be fairly easy. Helps a lot on the alignment process.

Being f/5 the Hyperons are not known for being good on anything fast and f/5 is probably too fast for them, I assume the zoom is the same, so that may be best avoided. Sorry to say also best to avoid plossls as well. Which basically leaves the BST Skyguiders.

I have a small 70mm f/5 achro similar to your 80 and my eyepiece set for that is the BST's at 5mm, 8mm and 25mm.

When you decide to give the goto a go and do the alignment start asking questions. It is not difficult but like everything computer based it has to be done right, and it is truely amazing how many vaariations can be done that are wrong.

Stick a location more then UK on your signature, there may be people and clubs close to you that could help.

thank you to all for the great responses and advice it looks like i will be getting a BSTs as the price is still beyond mi reach at the moment but a lot nearer than the Hyperion, 

what would be the best to start off with as i have read articles on the board that some,,  have three eyepieces  low to high, im presuming i should start off with a middle eyepiece in the BSTs what would bee the best 12 /15 

Tony

TAZZ............Hi buy both of them up front, and compare them,The one you don't like, send it back and Alan will re-fund you. Its an excellent service. I Bought the 8mm and 18mm liked them both. And because of my newly acquired Barlow, I may only need to get the 12mm to complete my collection. These lenses don't often come on-line second hand, I've only seen one, a 25mm and I bought that, it was only 1 Month old? If the 5 & 15mm come on-line as seconds, I just might get them, but very satisfied with my lenses so far.

thx for that charic im debating that i will be getting three eyepieces in the future the first in the next week or so , what would you advise to get first.

i have a 25 basic eyepiece which is not very good,  and looking a Venus is just like a star and blurred as well.

thx for that charic im debating that i will be getting three eyepieces in the future the first in the next week or so , what would you advise to get first.

i have a 25 basic eyepiece which is not very good, and looking a Venus is just like a star and blurred as well.

Venus won't show any surface detail , it will show phases like the moon though.

TAZZ...........sorry for the delay. I went for the 8mm then an 18mm. You have a 25mm so I`d probably suggest either the 12mm or 8mm. If you could buy both from Alan at Skies ( its £98 GBP) which is a lot, but you have the option to send one back, and he will refund you. If you like both, you could still send one back, getting your £49 back, and purchase it next time. But next time, take two again, and make another choice, send one back, and for the 3rd lens you can do the same. P&P is FREE to you, but you'll need to cover those charges for the return.

EDIT* Many regard the BST's. I know they work for me, but I'm on a different scope. I`m sure others at SGL will have the same scope, and possibly a BST or two. Hopefully they can add some input. The great thing is, you can return them, if you find there not suitable for your own use. I think its a great way to try some lenses. I'm not affiliated to Skies, but Alan is a genuine geezer on the phone, more than helpful.

You could possibly buy one and send that back, but you`ll be doubling up on p&p. Have a chat with him.

Is this your scope.........   http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1228334587_nexstargt.pdf ?

thx for the response Charic

yes its the long one of the nextar on the front page , 

i cant afford to get two,  it took me quite a bit to get enough for one lol , 

a few people on this post say that the bst will be ok 

Everyone who has ever owned a lens will have their  own experiences of what works and  what doesn't .  I`d still try and make contact with  Alan at skies_unlimited.  Try a 12mm and if its not right, send it back for the  8mm  or vice-versa . You`ll only lose out on p&p . I chose the BST's on recommendations here at SGL, and I'm satisfied with the results so far.

received my BST 12mm Today and not a star to be seen  :huh: just clouds :huh: now i can try get used to working out how to use the hand control etc as i have managed to find a power supply that fits and it is moving the telescope . 

received my BST 12mm Today and not a star to be seen :huh: just clouds :huh: now i can try get used to working out how to use the hand control etc as i have managed to find a power supply that fits and it is moving the telescope .

Tazz, there's something you need to know . ALL new astronomy gear comes with a supply of clouds . It's a phenomenon we still know little about ! Lol

received my BST 12mm Today and not a star to be seen  :huh: just clouds :huh: now i can try get used to working out how to use the hand control etc as i have managed to find a power supply that fits and it is moving the telescope . 

TAZZ.........Mine arrived Tuesday  :smiley: My signature list is the order of purchase, with regards to the eyepieces!

Archived