Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi Dave,

As Matt said... pretty much any laptop will suffice as long as it has around 4Gb memory and enough USB 2 ports... USB 3 has proven to be problematic for some users...also get one with a large capacity hard drive (at least 250Gb or larger)... astrophotos' take a lot of space.

I would suggest you try and find one with Windows 7... 32bit or 64bit for ease of finding working drivers... Windows 8 again has created many problems on this front.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I've got an old HP that I bought off of E-bay and it works fine with SharpCap, AP, EOS utilities and PHG. I haven't tried it with guiding the mount through ASCOM but everything else works okay. I'm running XP by the way.

One thing I would say is that if you are not going to run off of mains power then get the highest capacity battery that you can. You will be surprised how many times it will run out just at the most critical moment otherwise!  :rolleyes2:

I use an old Toughbook that seems to work fine for controlling the camera in the field and it is tough as old boots, does not mind getting damp and only cost me £99. I transfer the photos to another computer indoors for processing.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

What's your budget?. For between £400-500,you can get one similar to the one i got (Acer Aspire) with the following specs:

4-6 Gig memory will be good, i5 processor, Biggest HD that you can afford (650-750 Gig will last you quite a while). 

I'll hunt down a link.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1296052/acer-aspire-e1-571

Also worth checking out are Lenovo laptops. Apparently they are really good and not expensive.

If at all possible it could be best to run a mains lead (with full RCD protection) out to the scope. At this time of year all batteries will feel the cold and give you less running time. Don't forget that the mains adapter needs to be kept completely dry as well!

Thanks for all your help is windows 8 a definite no no, been looking in our catalogue seems like they are all windows 8.

Places like dabs and ebuyer will have some win7 stocks still on their books. But if your out and about i would go second hand Win7 64bit 4gb i3

Took the catalogue option which will give me more cash now for accesories . I've had a Toshiba Satellite C55-1HL with Intel® Pentium® Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard drive. Only problem is it's windows 8.1 hope I have it will be ok.

Hi Dave, I have been looking to upgrade my laptop too and thought the 8gb option the best one. The reason I say this is when I try and use DSS with my DSLR images and try to drizzle I keep getting a out of memory message. I know a lot of members say 4gb is okay, but I think that to stand the test of time (say the next 2 years or so) 6 or 8gb is a safer bet.

Brenda

I know a lot of members say 4gb is okay, but I think that to stand the test of time (say the next 2 years or so) 6 or 8gb is a safer bet.

Brenda

Un less the applications you are using is built for 64 bit then it will only be able to address 4gb of memory. Most astro applications are only 32 and still assume you only have 1 CPU core.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived