Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Telescopes

Hi, I am new to telescopes and stargazing. Can anybody tell me what type of telescope is best to look at the planets and some deep space. I have been looking at the Meade brand, motorised reflecters. It seems a great idea that the telescope will find objects in space for me. As always value for money is paramount (so the wife says). Anyway if anybody can offer advice it will be greatly received.

Simon

Hi sim1179 and welcome.

It really depends on your budget and what you want to do

with the scope like will you just be wanting to observe or

will you be wanting to do astro imaging too.

Let us know then we could really give you some proper advice.

Welcome sim1179,

As Jamie says give us an idea of your budget, what your sky is like (ie Light pollution).

If you have to travel a bit to a dark site , then portability is a factor when you start. There are some nice small refractors on the market at the moment.

If you are lucky and live in a dark area then consider a Dobsonian scope (Light bucket) These are large, manual guiding scopes, which are excellent value and give superb views of the night sky.

If you look at purchasing a GOTO scope (Meade etc) then you will pay a considerable ammount for the electronic guiding of the scope. I have a small GOTO scope which I now use for wide field views.

Considering the price you pay for a decent GOTO scope you could buy a a medium size Newtonian (Good all round scope) on a stable mount and a small refrator for the same money and have some change left over for some star maps!!

Greg

Hi, could you give me some idea of brand/make or supplier (I have looked at Sherwoods site) that are the best optics for the money regarding the comment below. I have looked on Ebay, there are hundreds of scopes for sale but are they any good, am I better buying from a reputable dealer?

"Considering the price you pay for a decent GOTO scope you could buy a a medium size Newtonian (Good all round scope) on a stable mount and a small refrator for the same money and have some change left over for some star maps!!"

The difference with buying from Ebay to buying from an actual dealer

is comback.With a dealer you get the dealer / manufacturers guarantee.

On Ebay you only get a strangers word that the item is in as good

nick as they say (try getting a refund from a stranger on Ebay difficult to say the least)

Just MHO.

Simon: Bern is also a member of Stargazers and is a VERY reputable dealer.

If anyone can see you alright he can.

I would be cautious regarding purchasing telescopes on e-bay - unless it's something really special. The majority of them are inferior and you'll end up dissapointed and trying to sell it at a considerable loss.

I have dealt with bernie at Modern Astronomy and I found him to a really nice guy - he didn't even try to sell me anything!! He was happy to give advice...... I did buy some accesories off him and he gave me a very good deal indeed.

I always try to purchase equipment on reputation and or recommendation.

There are after Crimbo offers around at the moment. Skywatcher 200 on EQ5 mount around the £350 mark - you may get some goodies thrown in as well (Skymaps etc.) If you don't ask you don't get.

Do you need anymore hints!!!

Greg

Archived