Narrowband

Triesnecker Rilles

John

The Moon was superb tonight and I've been studying a number of it's features at high power for the past couple of hours with my 12" dobsonian.

The crater Triesnecker was right on the terminator this evening and the low angled lighting in that region showed the complex network of thin rilles very well. They lie not far from the much larger and well known Hyginus Rille which is bisected by the crater of that name. The Triesnecker Rilles are labeled I - VII and, although I did not go to the trouble of recording in detail which I could see, I'm fairly confident that I picked out I to V with hints of VI and VII as the seeing allowed . It was a complex "cats cradle" of thin shadow filled valleys with the sunlight just percolating over them.

The dob performed superbly with the conditions allowing magnifications up to 450x to be used showing intimate views of the rugged terrain along the terminator. The simple plywood dobsonian  mount held the scope really steady even at these high powers with a rap on the tube damping out almost immediately. Simple but oh so effective :smiley:

This is the first good session I've had on the Moon for some time and I could not help thinking of Patrick Moore exploring the same landscape as a young astronomer all those years ago :smiley:

And I did have a couple of winks for Neil Armstrong too :smiley:  

It is a bit wobbly and misty here in rural Berks. But I enjoyed a happy 20mins giving a new eyepiece a good workout on the terminator. I could almost convince myself that I could see sunlight creeping over crater edges and spilling down valleys. Splendid.

Back to reality. Warring children's screams hauled me back into the house to broker a peace before the junior arms race escalated to anything too life threatening.

The night is young and the forecast is clear (and children asleep).

Paul

Had a nice look at the moon tonight too, plenty to see, the terminator looked particularly good tonight I thought, must just be the phase tonight I guess. Lots of long dramatic shadows!

Awfully dewy out there though, packed in already with a soaking scope, was only planning a short session so didn't put the dew strip on.

Enjoy if you are out, Jupiter was looking good too!

Stu

Had a fantastic couple of hours viewing the moon myself last night. Also got to try my 8mm eyepiece out.

Quite awe struck. Felt like I could write my name in the dust if I put my arm out.

Can't believe the powers that be already have plans of strip mining it. Any place we reach we'll destroy.

We really are the lowest lifeform on this plant.

Archived