Barlow lens

Hi everyone

I've been really enjoying taking my first steps with my telescope - a Skywatcher 130. Viewing the Moon and Jupiter for the first time these last few weeks have been fantastic.

However, I'm playing around with the different eyepieces that came with the scope and I'm confused when it comes the 2x Barlow lens 1.25".

Can someone please tell me or point me in the right direction for some beginners level info on what this lens is for and how the scope should fit into the main scope tube/work with the scope? I can't seem to see anything through it!

I'm also a complete novice in astrophotography but would love to try my hand at taking some images of the Moon - what are the best value/ quality entry level cameras I could use with my scope and what are the best learning resources for someone who's previous photography experience is limited to the iPhone...

Thanks very much - would really appreciate any advice.

Justin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone

........... I'm confused when it comes the 2x Barlow lens 1.25".........................

Can someone please tell me or point me in the right direction for some beginners level info on what this lens is for and how the scope should fit into the main scope tube/work with the scope? I can't seem to see anything through it!

Justin

Boomdialogue..........Hi. and here it is, beginners level.
Barlows can be over simplified?.........A Barlow lens fitted to a telescope only increases the telescopes focal length by the factor printed on the Barlow. It could be a 2x or 3x Barlow. So a 1200mm focal length telescope now effectively becomes a 2400mm telescope if that Barlow is 2x. The Focal length of the Telescope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece is what produces the magnification. Having one barlow can effectively double the ammount of eyepieces in your collection. If you only have two lenses say a 12mm and 36mm. If you 2xBarlow the 12mm it would give the equavalent magnification, as if you had purchased a 6mm, and would give 18mm from the 36mm. If you buy further lenses, take this into consideration. Its no good owning a 10mm 20mm 15mm & 30mm as the 20&30 would give the same result as the 10 & 15mm. If your telescope is 1200mm focal length and your eyepiece is 8mm you have a magnification of 150x If you insert the Barlow into the focuser, then place the 8mm lens into the 2xBarlow, your telescopes focal length is now 2400mm. That will give you 300x magnification using the 8mm lens. so now you have two magnifications from one 8mm lens, and four from two lenses and so on. But its still an 8mm lens. Many people think the theory of the Barlow is to half the eyepiece focal length, or just to simply double its magnification. Its only the focal length (and focal ratio) that changes directly by the fitting of a Barlow. Magnification is only obtained from the calculation Telescope Focal length / Eyepiece Focal length. 

Hi everyone

I've been really enjoying taking my first steps with my telescope - a Skywatcher 130. Viewing the Moon and Jupiter for the first time these last few weeks have been fantastic.

However, I'm playing around with the different eyepieces that came with the scope and I'm confused when it comes the 2x Barlow lens 1.25".

I'm also a complete novice in astrophotography but would love to try my hand at taking some images of the Moon - what are the best value/ quality entry level cameras I could use with my scope and what are the best learning resources for someone who's previous photography experience is limited to the iPhone...

Thanks very much - would really appreciate any advice.

Justin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Knobby says, the simple explanation is that the barlow makes objects look magnified. It fits into the eyepiece holder/ focuser then you insert the eyepiece of choice into the barlow. 

Would be useful to know what scope/mount combination you have, you say a 130 but is it a heritage or explorer ect to be able to give advice about a camera for you?

And the best learning resource you can find is Steve Richards book, Making every photon count http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html Its the only book I have ever destroyed by using a highlighter and writing notes in the edges, it looks like the dogs have had a good go at it it is that well used.

Hope some of that helps.

Archived