Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Zadoq

Introducing myself :)

Hi,

We are a couple of newbies in astronomy based in Norwich, UK. We have been thinking about turning astronomy into a proper hobby for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge, including the purchase of a Celestron Advanced VX EdgeHD 8" (our bank manager was pleased with that purchase).

We're also going to twin this with astrophotography as it's something that appeals to both of us.

There is so much to learn that at times it feels a bit daunting, so finding this web site has been a blessing. There is a huge amount of quality information. Thanks for putting the effort to share all this and keep it up

Nico & Carly

Hi, Nico and Carly, and welcome to SGL! Congratulations on your new scope  -no wonder the bank manager likes you! 

If you haven't got it already I can highly recommend the free plaetarium 'Stellarium' which many on here use to help locate objects in the night sky and plan for viewing sessions. The software is customisable for an individual area - and even for individual scopes and eye pieces to give you an idea of what you can see with your own scope. (Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/).

If your interest does lie in astrophotography the book "Making Every Photon Count" is an invaluable resource. It is written by Steve Richards, and is available from FLO (the sponsors of this forum).

Hope this helps,

Martin.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the lounge

Good luck with the A P.

Clear Sky's

Hi, Nico and Carly, and welcome to SGL! Congratulations on your new scope  -no wonder the bank manager likes you! 

If you haven't got it already I can highly recommend the free plaetarium 'Stellarium' which many on here use to help locate objects in the night sky and plan for viewing sessions. The software is customisable for an individual area - and even for individual scopes and eye pieces to give you an idea of what you can see with your own scope. (Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/).

If your interest does lie in astrophotography the book "Making Every Photon Count" is an invaluable resource. It is written by Steve Richards, and is available from FLO (the sponsors of this forum).

Hope this helps,

Martin.

Thanks all for your warm welcome.

That software is great. I love open source projects. Thanks for sharing the link.

Nico

Welcome you two! You are lucky as the north Norfolk coast is probably about as dark as it gets in the UK

Hi and welcome both of you :)

Look forward to seeing your images!

Lee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Nico & Carly a warm welcome to SGL.  It's good to hear that you share an interest in Astronomy as I think one of the most important things is being with like minded people.  That's why this site is so good as everyone tries give good advice and help you on your Astro journey.

Happy Stargazing.

Brenda  :smiley: