Which 18mm Eyepices for Binoviewing ??

dweller25

I am looking to buy a pair of 18mm Eyepieces for binoviewing in an F/8 refractor.

I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to buying eyepieces - The Hutech / Fuyijama Orthos are a good option but are there any other alternatives these days ???

This set up is for planetary observing.

Thanks in advance

David.

Thanks for that Shaun but there is no 18mm in the TV Plossl range

I guess you'd either have to get a 20mm or 15mm. I think you would be best with orthos or plossls (or anything with a narrow body) so you can get the IPD just right. The 18mm Hutechs or Fujiyama Orthos would work well :)

I assume that you've checked that you have enough back focus in your refractor fof binoviewing? The extra back focus may vary between different binoviewers, Baader's instruction manual

http://www.alpineastro.com/Binoviewers/Maxbright%20Binoviewer%20Instructions.pdf

gives some figures about increase back focus, can be used as a guideline.

I assume that you've checked that you have enough back focus in your refractor fof binoviewing? The extra back focus may vary between different binoviewers, Baader's instruction manual

http://www.alpineastro.com/Binoviewers/Maxbright%20Binoviewer%20Instructions.pdf

gives some figures about increase back focus, can be used as a guideline.

If not a refractor is a lot easier to modify (you can cut of some of the tube, get that section threaded so you can attach it back when you want to use the original length)

Thanks for the replies....

Johnathan - fortunately there is no need to reduce OTA length.

Yong - yes I have checked backfocus and I am OK.

Steve - thanks for the heads up on S/H 18mm Radians.

Qualia - will check out the 18mm Celestron Xcel LX's

• 3 weeks later...

Archived