Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5.....or 6/8SE

nightfisher

Ok, little idea going on here, i have the HEQ5 syntrek mount, and due to moving house in a few weeks, i dont think i will be able to get on polaris to align from new location, so i wonder should i sell the HEQ and get the SE celestron mount, mainly to use with my 150 pro mak for lunar and planet imaging/viewing, i would also like to use my 100RS on this but i know i will have problems due to tube length with the TAL, 

I welcome your opinions please

If i were to have a go at DS imaging it would be just DSLR with a small scope like the 150pds max 20 second subs but in truth not very likely

I think then I'd sell the HEQ-5, I mean it takes a long time to set-up so you'll be less likely to choose it as a mount, leaving it largely unused when you move and can no longer see Polaris.

Jules,

One consideration should be the length of the scope you want to use on the 6/8SE mount. It may crash into the base when nearing the Zenith. the 6&8 SE have quite a short OTA.

I didn't get on with the SE mount and upgraded to an NEQ6 - it is far more accurate and stable (although stability should be fine with your OTA), and a lot less noisy. But if you cannot see Polaris you may struggle - what about the Advanced VX with all star polar align? Would be a far better mount than the SE one.

If you bought the synscan handset for the HEQ5 you won't need to see polaris to polar.  Just point north with the mount level (only to reduce the amount of adjustments) and let the handset align you.

The TAL won't really be usable with the 6/8SE mount.

On the other hand get the 8SE mount and the new alignment camera,  then it's an easy setup -  if that's one of your goals.

I did not have any accuracy issues with the mount when I owned one, the object was always well within the FOV :smiley:

They can be a little noisy in the dead of night, but it would be extremely unlikely that you would disturb anyone inside a house.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the 5se and I have to say its a terrible mount for imaging especially DSO'S. I always get trailing stars if doin long exposure's. It also cant take much weight and I had to take of the ota off and really tighten the nut behind the bracket that holds the ota in place but as u can imagine this isn't goin to be very good for the motors. This is why I decided on getting a NEQ6 Pro with 250pds.

Archived