Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another EQ8

Zakalwe

Hi - yes I think it is a little less noisy slewing in dec and more responsive- less lag - I am hoping this will be translated into better calibration in that axis as it was a bit slow in dec - also thanks Ray - I did take off the plastic cover but didn't seem to be able to grasp and move the worm well so tried taking off cover plate which is clearly impossible-presumably you left the dec motor attached? Also the middle screw adjustment seemed rather too loose on my mount than I imagined but I didn't touch it until I had loosened the two outside screws which I guess is correct -Tony

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm, on my mount the worm turned quite easily via the coupling, i agree;  it is a bit of a squeeze!! however you can also push or pull the coupling around with your forefinger, i would suggest that if you find it tight then it may be indicative of some  binding.

i did leave the motor attached and if i had found the centre screw a little loose; then i would have just applied a little more torque on the outside pins to take up the backlash..

Of course assuming that the coupling remained free to turn and then ensuring that the mount slewed without any horrible noise.

i will add that after my adjustments the backlash has reduced considerably and calibration goes well...but, i am pleased that when my scope is fitted, i can still feel some backlash.

to expect no backlash at all could be risky.

Ray 

Thanks Ray- I think I will check it carefully  on Friday as I am off and ensure there is no binding although I suspect I adjusted the worm less than I  would need to cause binding or danger as  slewing is not noisy and there is still backlash with wobbling the saddle and the center screw is not tight-although as you have said this may not be the most accurate method of judging - you are absolutely right that any over tightening of the worm must be avoided at all costs or the motor will fail -an evolving story I think as with all emergent products - best wishes Tony.

Hi -thought this update might help - re evaluated and have made a lot of basic errors - first didn't realize central Allen key bolt is smaller on worm adjustment bar - so didn't really adjust much at all!- have now loosened central bolt and adjusted backlash checking worm rotation at multiple positions and remains free to move with my finger and no motor screaming - much better response now from dec and much less backlash although small amount present - hopefully a good outcome - I will find out when next clear sky but at least I feel confident adjusting the mount now and seems tons better Tony

Hi -thought this update might help - re evaluated and have made a lot of basic errors - first didn't realize central Allen key bolt is smaller on worm adjustment bar - so didn't really adjust much at all!- have now loosened central bolt and adjusted backlash checking worm rotation at multiple positions and remains free to move with my finger and no motor screaming - much better response now from dec and much less backlash although small amount present - hopefully a good outcome - I will find out when next clear sky but at least I feel confident adjusting the mount now and seems tons better Tony

Would be great to see a video of the process Tony, would help us who are not al that mechanically minded ;-)

I don't think it was as bad as yours but there was a bit of a hum from mine when it first arrived - I did however apply the 2.09_LP Motor Controller Firmware and it's as quiet as a mouse now whilst tracking

Stephen , is the motor control firmware you mention above included in the new handset firm

ware 3.35 or do you need to download it, I see it on the skywatcher website however its a MCF file ?  how would this install ?as the  firmware loader does not recognise the file type?

Mark

Hi Mark - not sure I can do a video - but its not difficult- Ray had a PDF he shared which shows the 3 Allen bolts accessed under three little cover slugs -don't lose these as they are a dust protection - important as said before just to take off top plastic cover and to loosen outside bolts before slight ant-clockwise release of central(and smaller Allen bolt)- then when you tighten outside bolts slightly to move the worm a bit closer you will notice less backlash when you nudge the saddle plate -then re-tighten central bolt- also then important to rotate dec under power to ensure motor is happy and then turn off the power at different points around the dec wheel and check the motor worm coupling moves easily at every point with your finger which is simple to do but only possible with power off - sounds lengthy but took me 15 minutes once I understood what I was doing - very important as Ray said though to leave some backlash and free worm movement or it will bind or damage dec motor I'm sure -however easy to reverse the process and back off if it seems too much -all at own risk of course but seems much better for me -(also I would advise you take off scope ant counter weights for this or this could make it difficult to do) - although I was always reassured that there were no real tight points on my mount which I hope means it is basically sound -hope this helps - best wishes Tony.

Stephen , is the motor control firmware you mention above included in the new handset firm

ware 3.35 or do you need to download it, I see it on the skywatcher website however its a MCF file ?  how would this install ?as the  firmware loader does not recognise the file type?

Mark

Motor control firmware and handset firmware are two completely seperate things, seperate installers/uploaders

Download and install (if not done already) handset v3.35, then download and install motor 2.09_LP - the instructions (and uploaders) are both on the Skywatcher website :)

• 4 weeks later...

Given the current crummy weather I've not been able to update this thread.

I've seen that Skywatcher has released a new version of the motor controller firmware here: http://ca.skywatcher.com/upfiles/en_download_caty01392234560.zip

The firmware reduces the max. slewing speed from x1000 to x800. It also improves the guiding performance- I think that there was a bug that meant the autoguiding jumped when using Lodestar cameras. The new firmware also introduces quite a musical ramp up and ramp down when starting and stopping a high speed slew. This ramp up and down seems louder on the DEC axis but that's probably to do with the location of the motors and worm.

Hi - clearly the new firmware has altered the guiding responses- so now having to grapple with new settings and working on his!- GOTO is fine and slewing is better but clearly alters PHD settings a lot!- Tony

Thats interesting to know. What changes have you had to make?

I didn't get to do any DSO last night. I spent a couple of hours imaging Jupiter and then tried to get my OAG parfocal with the Atik428. I've changed my filterwheel recently, but it was all too much for my befuddled brain at 12:30, so I abandoned it.

Hi -I suspect minimum motion must be changed and aggressiveness in RA - unfortunately before I had a good chance to try to sort this out clouds stopped me again!- will try again very soon and report any success-have to s ay though no probs with GOTO and seems a more appropriate and quiet slewing -Tony

Archived