Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D printed, motorised barn door

MyRomeo

Just a quick update on this,

I've been VERY lazy and since completing the build have been using my driven EQ mount with my camera on instead of the barn door as its much more stable with my bigger lens. I have however just bought a second DSLR body so can now have a go at some deep sky stuff with the 300mm lens whilst use a wider lens (say 50mm) with the barn door. I'm just waiting on some clear skies now! 

As for the STL files I used, the main parts (and everything for a manually driven version) were from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11376

I opted to motorize it so I could get more consistent results at longer exposures. The motor is controlled by a simple DC regulator which takes a 9v supply and delivers the precise voltage required for the correct drive speed. The regulator also ensures this voltage is kept constant.

My earlier testing on version 1 (pre-3d printed) had 10 minute subs at 50mm with no visible trailing and a 'rough' polar align. With this version having no slack in any hinges I hope this can be pushed even further however light pollution will probably be my limiting factor.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive! I do hope you will post some pictures you've taken with this setup. I intend to make a barn door - just manual and out of wood at first...

Dave.

It is very easy to make a basic manual barn door - don't spend time thinking about it... :-) It cost me 9 euros for the parts and 2 hours of my time:

post-7369-0-64273000-1394388856.jpg

(The pic was taken right after finishing it - in my enthusiasm, I put it on the AZ3 upside down!)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/209518-barn-door-tracker/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well spotted :)

I've replaced the DC motor with a stepper motor running at 203.8 steps per second, 4076 steps per revolution giving a final drive of 3rpm... Geared back down to 1rpm on the drive rod.

Using Arduino allows it to be pulse guided from PHD2 or I can run it stand alone on battery power and drive it at a constant speed.

Next steps are

1) invest in a decent power pack to power both motor shield and arduino.

2) mount the webcam (Xbox live cam with IR filter removed) to a nikon series e 50mm f1.8 lens to use for guiding and mount it to the barn door. Somehow.

3) fine tune pulse guide step size to allow PHD2 to keep accurate tracking. It's currently at 203.8 steps/pulse but This might need increasing due to the slight delay between pulses.

4) wait and wait and wait for clear skies.

• 4 months later...

Hey, long time since I updated this thread. Suffered disaster last week when running with a sigma 17-70 contemporary lens mounted. I guess the weight was too much and the bottom hinge pry fractured. Roll on mk2... All aluminium build. I redesigned the key parts and have so far had the new hinge parts delivered, build to follow but thought you would appreciate a taster. I've also rebuilt the control box to enable manual tracking and a future auto guide upgrade ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So tonight I pressed the bearings in and fitted the Alu hinge to the 3D printed mk1 parts. It's one heck of a stable hinge now, very pleased so far and the final parts will really set it off. 

For or now enjoy these few pictures...

mk1.5 arduino barn door tracker guider ;)

base plate is standard manfrotto tripod plate. Designed to fit :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 10 months later...

that is very impressive, I am at the final stage of my T Hinge barn door tracker driven by a 1 rpm motor. I will post pics and results when complete, then hopefully onto my next project and eq2 guider using raspberry pi and lin-guider using the ideas from this brilliant project.

Here are some of the bits used to give you an idea. I will be mounting the Pi and the wires ect in an enclosure box under the bottom plate

20170209_082435.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived