Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D printed, motorised barn door

MyRomeo

I built myself a prototype barn door tracker a few months ago to test my calcs and found the results quite promising. At 35mm I was managing 10 minute ISO 1600 shots with no trailing but had found a few design flaws.

Today I started to address them using a 3D printable design found online as a baseline.

Anyhow as I type out little printer is churning away and I have a pile of parts waiting to be paired to it...

Thought I would share the progress on here as I am sure some will be interested!

As it is now... Posted Image

Update to follow...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sure a step forward from my cheese board prototype!

Little scare, checking progress (it's a 6 hour print) and the material reel is alarmingly low... I'm concerned it's going to run out mid run! Need to find out if there's capacity to pause and change reels mid job!

All credit goes to this guy

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11376/#instructions

So the print failed with about 30 minutes to go! The heater stopped heating for an unknown reason but I think I can make the parts work still. We're baffled as to what happened!

Posted Image

See the piece on the right? It had a few mm left :(

I'll assemble the parts tomorrow (my wedding anniversary today and I need to treat the wife to a fancy meal!) and post my progress

Quick update.. Fitted the bearings and mounted the control board... Test aligned for your viewing pleasure

I think the honeycomb side actually works fine given it's mostly covered by the pcb so no major issue with the printing error

Posted Image

The rubber band is just holding the pcb whilst the glue sets and the socket is supporting the upper part for the photo...

More to follow!

Ok so a little more done today. Assembled the main parts and set the dimensions... 183mm between bearing centre and drive bar using an m5 drive bar gives a nice and measurable 1rpm drive speed..

So without further delay, today's progress...

Posted Image

All the nuts are loctited secure now and there is absolutely no play in the bearings so the main pivot is very stable.

Tomorrow's job is to build a means of fitting the motor, fit the ball head and tidy up the wiring.

Must say I am enjoying this!

Alaness, one thing I would say with the 3D printed parts is the thin stuff is pretty brittle, I considered printing a nikon f mount to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor but had worries of how secure it would be. It might be an idea to buy a mount from eBay and design the filter wheel to attach to it.

Today's progress with my tracker.. Got the battery pack fitted to the base and the conduit ran ready to fit the drive motor tomorrow. I need one last part printed so really hoping I can resolve the printer fault!

I also got the ball mount fitted ready for the camera.

The mount if feeling pretty stable so far..

Sorry no photo today... It's so close to completion I'll keep the next shot until then

You can now get a 3D printer for $200 ..

http://makibox.com/

Looks like we are slowly entering the relm where they will be in more homes.  Though unlike the ink jet revolution the skill barrier to entry is much higher, places like thingiverse can only go so far.

Be interesting to see how good the prints are from that $200 machine.

Alaness, one thing I would say with the 3D printed parts is the thin stuff is pretty brittle, I considered printing a nikon f mount to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor but had worries of how secure it would be. It might be an idea to buy a mount from eBay and design the filter wheel to attach to it

Thanks Romeo, I'll start work on a new design. I think I'll make it simpler while I'm at it, maybe only 3 filter holes with shorter 'ears'. 

Ok so today's update, all parts are now accounted for and I'm just waiting for the last few parts to set before completing the assembly and soldering the motor connections. I'm hoping it will all be set for tomorrow and I can complete it to start testing.

Picture as promised!

Posted Image

So close!!

• 1 month later...

Archived