Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

entropia

I found this website as I was looking for information on eye pieces. I bought a Celestron 127EQ telescope two years ago but I just started using it a couple of weeks ago. I am new on this hobby so  suggestions are welcomed. 

Hi and welcome to the forum. Well one suggestion for you might be to download some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" which many of us use to help us find objects or to help identify those we find along the way. One of its advantages is that it can be calibrated to your observation site thus producing a virtual sky and with the aid of the time advance facility, you will be able to anticipate when objects are likely to come into view, which is very useful if your view of the night sky is obstructed for any reason.

One other recommendation might be to purchase a book entitled "Turn Left at Orion" which list some 100 objects that can be viewed using modest equipment. The book splits the list into the seasons of the year so there is always something to see. There are both written and visual guides on how to locate the objects and if you want to take a look at its layout, they you might want to take a look here. Hope these suggestions take you a little further but I'm sure others will have some ideas too.

Clear skies

James

Thank you everybody! @michigander: I live in Springfield (next to the Simpson Family :). Not really a baseball fan but I do cheer for the Nats. @JamesM: thanks for the suggestions. Right now I have to rely on my cellphone application to find the stars :)

Archived