What eyepiece for Celestron EdgeHD?

HI,

I'm reasonably new to astronomy.  I've ordered a Celestron EdgeHD 8 and wondered what range of eyepieces would suit.

I've looked at Celestron x-cel online, also Naglers - there's a whacking price difference between the two so I was wondering why that should be?

I currently use a Celestron 8inch Newt and haven't splashed out huge amounts on eyepieces but thought maybe this should change with the arrival of the new scope.

Any help welcome ... thanks

Compared to the X-Cel, Naglers are better build quality, 82° field instead of 60° and well corrected to the edge in fast scopes. Unless you want wide fields of view the X-Cels will be fine in your scope. Other good eyepieces are: goung down in price (£50) the BST Explorers and going up in price (£100) Vixen NLVs.

Quality eyepices do make a difference to your viewing experience, they are a worthwhile investment.

The Baader Hyperions will be good in your scope - they work a treat on my newtonians. They're around £100 each new but you can get them for £60-£65 s/h in very good condition. Or for 5 in 1 eyepieces a Baader 8mm-24mm zoom is one of my favourites - really good quality views and very flexible with many uses. Should be around £100-£120 s/h or new for £190'ish. Hth :)

Thanks for the replies, they certainly point me in the right direction.

I think I'll lurk around ebay to see what comes up and have another look online at new prices as well.

I like the idea of the zoom eyepiece - does the image in a zoom ep degrade much from fixed focal length eyepieces?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If your going the 2" Diagonal route then the Hyperion will be good there 2" barrels will mean no swapping to a 1.25" adapter, I replaced the standard focuser with a starlight feathertouch make a huge difference to getting a sharp view and only took 5 minutes to fit, my latest improvement a Astrozap with built in dew heater after a couple of hours the front glass was crystal clear.

Archived