Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Rihard

Yet Another M42 Orion Nebula (C80ED, Baader UHC-S, Nikon D7000)

Hello all,

last I night I give a try at Orion Nebula when the clouds were not in the way :) I live in a fairly light polluted city centre (with a thick orange sky glow) so I decided to buy a Baader UHC-S filter to see if it would help, so this is my first light with the UHC-S and I was chuffed! In my opinion, it's worth every cent! 

Normally, even when taking a lot of subs, darks and flats I end up with weird gradients, heavy noise, lack of contrast and other annoying artifacts that not even post processing can get rid of, but last night the UHC-S blessed me and with only a bunch of quick subs and darks I've finally got some decent contrast, decent colours and detail ! Again, not an Hubble grade picture and very far from those crazy 100 hours Ha-RGB stacks, but it's my first half-decent DSO image so I'm happy with it (it must have been my lucky night yesterday, as I was lucky also with Jupiter). I think it needs some more post processing as there is a bit more signal and nebulosity to squeeze out. Any comment or advise appreciated!

Celestron 80ED (F/7.5)

Motorised EQ5 (Rough polar alignment)

2" UHC-S Filter

Nikon D7000

20 subs, 20 seconds each, ISO 1600

5 Darks

Churned by DSS

Squeezed by Adobe Lightroom

post-17725-0-34981000-1386239975_thumb.p

Thanks for watching! :)

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nicola Hannah Butterfield
      First image from my new NEQ6 Pro driven mount, all other images before this were static.
      Sky Watcher 200P prime focus, 10x 60's lights, darks, bias and flats. ISO 200
      Bortle 6
      Yes I know there is a plane track through it.
    • By alexbb
      I've been processing this image for quite a long now.
      I started acquiring data the last season when I only managed to shoot 3 panels with the Canon 6D through the Esprit 80 for a total of ~7h.
      This season I restarted and I added more data and covered a wider area. So a mix of portrait and landscape panels were planned and shot with the same scope and camera. Now every pixel represents at least 3-4h of integration, some have more.
      All the above were shot from Bortle 2-3 sites where I traveled sometimes even for an hour of exposure.
      To the RGB data I added 17.5h of Ha, same story with the panels. Some were oriented N-S, others E-W. These were shot with the SW 72ED and the ASI1600 from home and Bortle ~7.
      Then I figured out I still had time and I planned and shot 9 more panels of luminance with the 72ED and ASI1600, each consisting of 1h of exposure.
      I combined all of these into an image, processed it and for the Orion nebula and Running Man nebula I also blended some data I shot last season with the 130PDS and ASI1600 from home.
      Below it's my first final version of all data combined. You can watch it in full resolution on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/jni0w8/ or Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iBGUXq

• By Astrofriend
      A friend ask me about filter size, I already had a Excel sheet with that calculation. But I did a new web calculator.
      It's the first version but it looks to calculate it correct, have a look:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-calculations/minimize-vignetting/minimize-vignetting.html
      It's not any high precision calculation, but gives knowledge enough I think.
      Too small filter gives vignetting, too big filter empty the wallet.
      /Lars
    • By UKAstroBill
      The weather has been so bad I have had the time to finish a video on using astro filters with the Nikon Z bodies and Nikon camera lenses. There is a manual alternative to the FTZ allowing 1.25 inch filters to be fitted between camera and F-mount lenses, and for some lenses and end of lens solution make sense. FAstroTZ is described here:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.