Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
clarkian

New to astronomy

I am hoping to start stargazing & have been offered a Traveler 76mm reflecting telescope with equatorial mount.

Would this be a good starter scope?

This particular scope is virtually unused. I am told it has been out of the box once. Can someone give me an indication of the price I should be paying for it?

Ian Clark

Ian, Hello and welcome. I'm afraid I'm a bit to knew to this hobby also to be able to comment on the scope you mention, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more experience than I who will be able to advice you.

Hi Ian, and welcome to SGL.

Not wishing to offend, but IMO, you'd be wise to keep your money in your pocket, and spend a bit of time here on the forum, before making any purchases.

I don't know the scope that you refer to, but a 76mm reflector is likely to be little more than a toy, and as such disappoint. This, like so many 'mail order catalogue' type scopes for example, may leave you disillusioned, and put you off the hobby entirely.

Dave

Hi Ian

Welcome to SGL :D

The scope is a bit on small side so it would limit what you can see.

I would hang on and do a bit more research.

I pair of 10x50 binos would be a good start whilst you choose a scope.

Cheers

Ian

Hello and welcome to SGL Ian.

I don't intentionally upset anyone, and I do try to be as diplomatic as I can, but I won't lie to anyone either.

The link in a previous post will take you to my feelings on the subject of your scope.

You certainly do not have to believe what I say, the choice is up to you.

I hope you have a great time on the forum, and all the help and advice you might need is here for you.

Ron. :D

Ian, is this the scope you are thinking of.?

This does not have the equatorial mount by the way.

:D

3052_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi Ian and welcome to SGL

Good advice not to jump in head first when getting your new scope. There are plenty of members on here that will help point you in the right direction when choosing a scope.

Mark

Hello Ian, and welcome

I too am quite new to things - I hope to get a scope at some point but at the moment I'm really getting to "learn the sky" through a pair of 10x50 binoculars. If you've not tried this for stargazing yet, then you really should - you'll be staggered at what you can see through them on a clear night.

cheers

Ian

Thanks Barkis, but the scope I have been offered is not the same. It has a silver case & an equitorial mount.

Thanks

Clarkian

Hello Clarkian

Welcome along to the SGL forums

Whatever you decide on I imagine its only going to be the start of a wonderful and rewarding hobby

all the best