SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explorer 150p + DSLR?

Hi all,

Could somebody please advise me on the setup for an Orion Steadypix Adaptor, a DSLR camera, and a Skywatcher Explorer 150p - for basic point and click imaging?

I've attached the adapter to the eyepiece and sat the camera on the cradle. I have the camera pointing at the eyepiece but I either get blackness (too close) or an image of the eyepiece (from about 1 cm away). If I'm lucky, I'll get a pixel of a star for a brief second but, basically, I can't get the view into the eyepiece, if you see what I mean. I have the same issue with using a smartphone camera.

I have what I believe is a camera adapter for the Explorer - an open ended barrel with two bolts on the side - but I can't see how it fits into the telescope with the eyepiece still attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi again, 

Apologies for the double post, but I can't edit yet:

I had another go last night, and tried inserting the DSLR directly into the telescope body, but I'm still not having much luck - or any at all!

I read that the Skywatcher 130 is useless for photography, as it can't bring objects into focus. Is this likely to be an issue for the 150p?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick altogether?

You should be able remove the lens from your camera (if you can't it isn't a DSLR). Detach the camera lens and fit a t-ring to the camera body. The focuser of the 150P has a removable eyepiece holder, the part that fits into the focuser draw tube has a suitable t thread onto which the camera can be connected via the t-ring. If you find that you still canot focus using the direct SLR method you may need to use a barlow lens to push the point of focus farther out.

The video should help you understand the methods of attaching a DSLR body to a telescope

You should be able remove the lens from your camera (if you can't it isn't a DSLR)...

I can remove lens on mine (and use other different lenses), but it is not DSLR - can I use it providing I have right attachment?

Archived