Narrowband

Horsehead in Hydrogen Alpha

steppenwolf

Funny old conditions tonight so I thought I'd try an old favourite but capture it in Ha first and if conditions improve try and add some colour later. The only reason that you can ever see the Horsehead is that it is a dust cloud silhouetted against a background of emission nebula so it responds quite well to an Ha filter. As I had predicted, the clouds came in but I captured 12 X 200 second images binned 2 x 2 before they spoilt my fun!

horsehead_070108_l.jpg

I have no Idea how much better this would have turned out had you captured the amount of data you had set your mind on Steve,

but if that image is starved so to speak, I don't know in what area. It just strikes me as a very well imaged subject that is very popular.

And personally, the Horsehead, and the whole Theta Orionis area looks wonderful in mono. I can only speak for myself of course, I know others prefer the dramatic effect the colour adds to it.

Ron. :D

Archived