Orion reflector a good first scope

Hi everbody, this is my first post on this forum and of course its the age old question, is an Orion skyview pro 8'' reflector scope a good scope to start out with? My main interest is deep sky viewing and would eventually like to get into astrophotography. I know my way around the sky pretty well but havent made the purchase until now. Does anyone have any experience using this scope and wouldnt mind sharing their experience?

From looking at it I would say it is the equal of the Skywatcher 200P reflector here, Orion here is different to Orion in the US.

Good all round scope and at f/4.9 should be good for AP although you may need a coma corrector. Look at the Astro-Tech offering ij the US, heard it is good and not overly expensive.

Achieving focus may be a problem, check into it, often the wording is you can attach a DSLR, doesn't say attach and focus one.

May need a low profile focuser, alternative is to move the main mirror up the scope a bit to push the focal plane further out.

Not sure what the mount is. Here it is usually an EQ5, the one I see looks similar - so I will reply accordingly:

For visual the mount and scope is fairly good, for AP it may be a little light. The scope can shake a bit owing to a light breeze and as the scope rotates during imaging the balance shifts and things move.

One of those areas where imaging is possible better imaging would be on a better mount. Best advice is try it, learn and decide what to do in terms of possibly changing and upgrading.

Just realised that the Orion skyview pro 8'' reflector I am looking at (telescope.com) does not have either dual motors or goto. You will need motors to track as a minimum for AP (also nice for visual) and goto will save time locating objects and allows expansion to guiding. Guiding means more mass so a better mount could then be essential.

My advice is check the mount, get the full details on it. May need a polarscope for polar alignment - they are not always provided.

Yeah I figured I would just do some observing first then move on to some photography maybe a year or so down the road. I thought about adding the goto feature at that point but do you think I would be better off investing in an entirely new and better mount?

Archived