New scope choices... some advice please

Hello.  I have had various cheap scopes in the past (below £150)

I dont really care for photography with one - maybe one day but my main interest is to sit outside with a drink and watch the stars.  I live in Herefordshire and the galaxy looks amazing on a winter night.

So I want get a great scope for viewing as much as I can really.  I dont have space for more than one scope.

I started looking at the Celestron Nexstar 4SE, but I noticed how many say Aperture is too small.  I do want to  view the main DSO's and planets.  Once thing I have never been happy with is my views of Jupiter, Saturn and Venus.  The cheap scope are blurry and shake.

Ive checked out a few.  My budget is about £400.  Any suggestions?  The Skywatcher Explorer 200p looks nice but is a little big?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shakeyness comes from the tripod and if the scope is balanced or not. So cheap scopes come with cheap tripods. If you want to get away from that then the best suggestion would be for a Dob. This will also get you the biggest aperture possible for your budget. Don't forget to budget for a collimator and a finder scope or Talrad (If it doesn't come with one). Also a couple eyepieces if you don't already have a collection. Also make sure to check out the second hand websites. You can get some really great deals on there.

Hi

The Explorer 200p is a very nice scope by all accounts (I don't own one). As you have discovered a cheap scope and a cheap mount and will only disappoint. For casual viewing an 8 to 10 inch newtonian on a Dobsonian mount cannot be beaten. These are very stable and don't require any particular skill to set up. If you just want to sit outside and look around a Dobsonian mounted reflector is the way to go. You will, however, need to learn how to collimate the scope. As for your comment about size, unless you go for a fairly large scope you won't see much.  Also a good book will help. 'Turn left at Orion' is considered to be one of the best books for the casual/back garden astronomer (like me). http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Good luck

JC

Strangedays............Hi, welcome to SGL. On your budget, I'd recommend the Skywatcher Slyliner 8" Dobsonian (Dobsonian is just the name of a mount system ~ truly the easiest method to set up and use)  [ here; http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/dobsonians/skyliner-200.html   and here  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html    Check delivery costs ] and with at least one decent lens under £50 which could either be an 8mm or 12mm BST Starguider. If your seeing the Milky way with ease, then the 8" set-up wont let you down. A 10" version offers more light gathering. The light gathering is all dependent on the Aperture. Most important . The bigger the Aperture, the more fainter the objects it should resolve. Bigger  Aperture is better, however, take the extra  weight and costs into account. If too heavy, then not portable to take away to really dark site/skies with no light pollution.  Like I said, aperture is the important bit. Magnification may come next, but you can alter the magnifications as you desire. You divide the telescopes focal length by the Eyepiece focal length to achieve a magnification ie 1200 mm(telescope) / 8mm Eyepiece =  150x (power or magnification) Likewise using a 32 mm lens gives  37.5x. Note*  Low power wide angle, for panoramic views, High power 12mm - 5mm High power for Planets and Lunar. next would be portability, and then costs. Enjoy the hurt the next few days will give you in trying to decide?  :confused:

Thanks for your suggestions.  I really liked the look of the Dob, but alas the wife freaked out demanding I do not get one that size.  So I have had to rethink.  I looked into the Skywatcher 127 size scopes.  I assume anything smaller would not be great.

The Mak design I understand is a tighter focal spot - ie you see less in the eyepiece.  I assume it is ideal to have a motor on something like this?

.........it sits in an area, 53cm Base (base is actually 52cm wide) and  the assembled telescope sits, 132cm Tall. Sits nicely in my kitchen with two, very heavy duty,  clear  plastic covers, taped together with heavy duty glass repair tape, matching  the height of the scope. just to keep the  particles from any cooking processes of the scope. So its undercover, but totally visible! The wife will get used to it, she will just have to go around it? Lol.

ps.. Mrs strangedays. let him get the 200P! i`m sure there'll be something you need too?

pps. strangedays, maybe try the vows, To Love and OBEY! I Will get it and you will accept it?

ppps. Maybe Not that approach!

pppp2. Just get it and accept the bruising, it'll be worth it.

EDIT* Weight: 26.64KG (OTA=11KG, Base = 15.64KG)

ok sorry, she freaked out at 52cm wide.  Now given my situation (its a bit psychological)  Apart from suffering (not a solution here sorry) what can I do.

I am still looking at the skywatcher 127.  How does it compair to the 4" Celestron, and something like a Meade EXT80?

It's a tough call giving telescope advise. As you seem to be contemplating lots of different choices, I'd hold off until you are more certain.

How about going here https://sites.google.com/site/hsastro/home maybe they could help, perhaps you could see some scopes, take your wife too, or perhaps visit a shop that displays telescopes, you would get a better idea as to size & weight that's so difficult to judge from online pics.

Please don't forget that many people get loads of fun using binoculars or a small telescope.

Hope you find something that suits, Ed.

Thanks Sub Dwarf.  I can see your point and appreciate your views.

I think that my biggest concern was that I had one of these small cheap dobsonian Celestron Firstscopes.  I was not seeing much in it at all, and was not impressed (I am realistic though).  Now is that because they are cheapy a rubbish or just me?

ok sorry, she freaked out at 52cm wide.  Now given my situation (its a bit psychological)  Apart from suffering (not a solution here sorry) what can I do.

I am still looking at the skywatcher 127.  How does it compair to the 4" Celestron, and something like a Meade EXT80?Sorry

Sorry about that, Once she's put you back down on the floor, try the " its only 21 inches trick"  already that sounds smaller. A Boys gotta have his toy!

EDIT* check out one of these! http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201589-heritage-130p-it-followed-me-home/?hl=%2Blike+%2Bthis

I think what was meant here is that a Dob is so comfortable to use. With a suitable chair/small table you can view sitting down, where as with a tripod Newt you're going to be vertical looking either down into the ep or straight at it. 

If you can get to a local group or find some kind person locally to show you scopes and what they can view it would help you decide. With regards to the 200 Dob, it is avery fine general purpose bit of kit which will show you most deep sky targets with ease.

if you have anywhere dry and safe to store the base outside, then the ota will stand upright and be a most beautiful addition to the house . 

Nick.

I have the NexStar 4SE and it is a bit small for DSOs, but gives me very nice views of the planets. I think you will find that the 8" dob takes up less room than the 4SE... the tripod legs of the 4SE spread out far wider than a dob base.

"My budget is about £400.  Any suggestions?  The Skywatcher Explorer 200p looks nice but is a little big?"

If you're prepared to use an equatorial mount then you can get a 200P on a CG5 (or EQ5) manual mount for around £250 - £300 second hand. If you're comfortable without goto this would be a nice combination to which you can add a brand new tracking motor (RA) for £75 (or dual motors for £90).

The big benefit from your point of view is that it breaks down into two smaller parts that are easier and more convenient to store. The storage footprint is little more than a 4SE and I think you're missus would buy into this much easier.

I'm not terribly good at marital advice but any woman who would object to this needs putting in her place. Send her out to work and make her buy her own handbags, shoes, clothes, and makeup - or change her for a younger, prettier,  lower maintenance model. :)

I am still looking at the skywatcher 127.  How does it compair to the 4" Celestron, and something like a Meade EXT80?

The tripod for the 127 will take up more floor space than the 8" dob when it's spread out., that goes for most if not all tripods. The size of an 8" dob really is nothing to worry about, it takes up no more floor space than the average laundry basket.

I'm not terribly good at marital advice but any woman who would object to this needs putting in her place. Send her out to work and make her buy her own handbags, shoes, clothes, and makeup - or change her for a younger, prettier,  lower maintenance model. :)

Haha...  its funny only with my interest in astronomy she makes such a big deal.  I think its just time really.  And I do agree the 200p is really the way for me to go, given  that I just like to watch.  The skies around me are amazing some nights and both of us will go out and look up for half an hour as they can be so impressive.

Haha...  its funny only with my interest in astronomy she makes such a big deal.  I think its just time really.  And I do agree the 200p is really the way for me to go, given  that I just like to watch.  The skies around me are amazing some nights and both of us will go out and look up for half an hour as they can be so impressive.

I've an idea. Try and make a mock 200P, leave it in a corner and then see what your wife says about it in a week :).

Archived