Skywatcher Skymax 127 Mak + Canon DSLR

Can anyone please advise the best way to connect these two for prime focus?

I have the Canon T adaptor. The most robust method IMHO is to unscrew the 11/4 eyepiece holder from the Mak and replace it with a (same) female threaded tube which has male thread at the other end to screw into the T adaptor.

Alternatively, a male threaded tube into the T adaptor with an 11/14 nosepiece at the other end fitted into the original eyepiece holder would work...But I don't feel this is as good.

I neither know the thread of the eyepiece holder nor the length of tube required to achieve focus.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

This is the way I connect my camera to my 150 mak

1. A mak to sct adapter http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-maksutov-to-sct-adapter.html .

2 A Baader sct 2" adapter http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-sct-to-2-inch-adapter.html

3 A 2"/T thread nosepiece or 2" Powermate and then a t-ring to the camera.

I used to do the same as jamesf; the bit which screwed directly into the telescope (the visual back) has a t-thread, and i have an eos to t-thread ring which clips onto the camera body and then screws onto the visual back.

I still use the eos to t-thread ring but not have a 2" nose piece which screws onto that and then slot that 2" into my crayford style focuser on my bigger mak.

James

Thanks for responding 2 X James. Although I'm "following" this thread I didn't get a notification of any replies so excuse my tardiness!

I think I have the same visual back thread but am a bit confused by JamesF's photo....It looks as if the camera is inserted into the eyepiece holder to me. Some sort of EOS to 11/4 adaptor?

I bought the Mak with the intention of doing moon and planetary stuff, though I have seen great DSO results elsewhere on this forum, but that can wait for now.

I do quite like Peter's set up which allows the use of a Barlow.

BTW I sympathise with your bad back, Jambouk! Been there and got the T-Shirt!

Thanks chaps

Steve

The T-thread adaptor fits into the camera and the thread on the visual back screws into the T-thread.  You can get a T-to-1.25" adaptor but I'm not using one here.

WIth the arrangement shown in my image you will just, and I really do mean just fit a full disc lunar image onto an APS-C camera sensor in one go.  It's not too bad at apogee, but at perigee you have a few tens of pixels to spare either side.  If the camera is much further away at all then the focused image won't fit.

James

James,

Nice setup simliar to mine Mak Cas 127 with eos 350 and a qhy 5ii planetary. QQ what mount are you using is that a eq3?

I have the alt az but am thinking of upgrading for imaging could do with a bit of advice.

It's a fairly old and somewhat hacked about EQ3-2, yes.  I've partially rebuilt it and moved the DEC motor to reduce the number of gears in the drive train in an attempt to remove some of the backlash as well as fitting a dovetail clamp to the saddle (which was originally only designed to take scope rings).  The Mak is not unscathed, either.  I stripped and rebuilt it a couple of years ago and fitted a motor drive to the focuser.

I'm now having serious thoughts about completely stripping the EQ3-2. rebuilding it and fitting an AstroEQ unit to it, but other projects have overtaken that at the moment.

James

Archived