Skywatcher Explorer SynScan AZ GoTo 130P or 150p with EQ3

Hello guys,

from the title you can see what is the question :)

I would like to have a beginners scope, which would give nice visuals but also I could start practicing astrophotography.

So, which one would you suggest? Is the goto so important, that I would be better off with the 130p? Or could I be able to start to take pictures also without it and maybe get the 150p and upgrade with a goto later...? The 150p with a goto is a bit out of my price range yet.

So these are in question, if you want more detail;

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3890_Skywatcher-Explorer-130P-SynScan-AZ-GoTo-Telescope---130-650mm.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2686_Skywatcher-Explorer-150P-on-EQ3---150-750mm-Newton-Telescope.html

Will need to ask a few questions before I can provide you with a sensible answer:

- Are you a complete beginner or have you done some observing before?

- Have you used a telescope before?

- Are you wanting to photograph deep sky objects or just the moon and planets?

- Are you going to be using the scope in your back garden or carrying it to another location?

Rob

Hi Rob!

Answers,

I have owned and used a telescope before (though a cheap one)

I would like to photograph also the DSO's, but will probably start practising from the closer ones - moon and planets

I will use the scope at home and also in my cabin (minimal light pollution there)

Well I'm sure other people will have things to say on the matter, but I would personally opt for the 150P on an EQ3 mount. You've got plenty of light grasp there for visual and you can upgrade the mount to at least an EQ5 at some point in the future for phtotgraphy. The only down side is because you have no drives you won' be able to do any long duration photos but you could add some non-goto motors and hand set for very little money (perhaps the supplier can throw in this uprade at a reduced cost) until you can upgrade the entire mount.

For DSO or any long exposure you need the equitorial mount.

Be aware that the EQ3 is not overly solid and stable, people try an assortment of tricks to get it more stable. So even that will be a limitation for DSO work.

The 150P will be prone to wind and breezes - just it's diameter and length.

A DSLR may prove troublesome to get an image in focus on the sensor.

If you read Skywatcher wording it says you can attach a DSLR, not that you can attach and achieve focus.

There are ways to get round it so find out what they are first.

If you can afford the 200p on the EQ5 then that would be a great setup to start with. The extra two inches over the 150p will benefit your visual observations and the EQ5 mount is more capable for astrophotography work.

You will still need to get the motor drives which will add on another €120, but you don't need to get them straight away. Spend the first while learning to use your telescope and mount, and learning to find objects in the sky.

Other things you may want to consider are:

A collimating eyepiece (laser collimator or chesire collimating eyepiece)

T-Ring to attach your DSLR to the telescope

Stellarium software

Some sky maps (like this one, for finding Messier objects)

A Telrad or Rigel Quickfinder

I have a similar setup to this - a 150p mounted on CG-4 (same as EQ3-2 but with steel tripod legs) with dual-axis motors and using a Canon 600D for astrophotography and it works well, especially as a beginner myself.

The items I mentioned are all things I regularly use, the latter ones because I don't use GoTo. The collimating eyepiece is pretty much essential for Newtonian telescopes (don't worry about it too much, but find a tutorial to follow and practice collimating and you'll be able to do it no problem); you'll need a T-Ring adapter to attach your camera body to the telescope; and the Telrad/Rigel Quickfinder are really useful for finding stuff in the night sky more easily than using the finderscope.

Anyway, digressing a bit onto things that you only need to think about when you HAVE the 'scope. But, the 200p and EQ5 is an excellent combination that will give you excellent views of the night sky and, with the dual axis motors and some other bits and bobs, will allow you to dabble in astrophotography too.

Just to throw something else into the mix, if your budget can stretch to €500 you may want to consider a small short focal length refractor such as the Skywatcher Equinox Pro 66 APO on an eq5. You will find imaging much much easier as it is short focal length and wider field of view plus it is much lighter putting less strain on the mount, less wobble, etc. I use my William optics zs66 for astro photography and it's extremely easy and gets great results.

Obviously not very good for visual though, so if that is important then I'd go for the reflector.

A cabin in Finland......sounds nice......

Thank you both for the answers. I was thinking of getting the T-ring right away, so I can try photographing also.

I'm also quite interested of the 150PDS, after looking some amazing photos people have managed to take with it and a NEQ5 / NEQ6. Did not expect this to come so difficult... :D

I've got the 130pds on a HEQ5 and must say that in windy Cardiff, I don't think my mount would cope with a bigger scope. When I say cope, I mean for guided 5 - 10 min exposures!

By the by - I own a 130p as well and have been unable to achieve focus with a DSLR. You'll need to either change the focuser or image through a Barlow lens (plenty YouTube videos around).

So I'd say - get a mount first and use your old scope. Then get a scope (I'd go 130pds - I've recently put a few pics up for demonstration). Or both if you have the means. I wouldn't throw money at an inferior mount you won't be able to use for AP. Resale value probably not great...

PS - I've modded my 130p by moving the secondary mirror up the tube. But you'll only be able to achieve visual focus and focus with a webcam!

If you'd like my modded 130p, inbox me. Cheaper than buying a new one... I bought it second hand and it is in good shape...

Oops - Finland is a bit far maybe...

Archived