Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 and 10x42 Binoculars: has anybody tried them on the stars?

The Zeiss Terra ED binoculars are getting some seriously good reviews in birding forums, and are MASSIVELY cheaper than any other Zeiss binoculars currently available. Has anybody tried them on the stars? I am thinking of replacing my 10x50 bins as I am seeing their deficiencies in astronomical observations and birding (especially compared to the Helios Apollo). These Zeiss bins caught my eye, as they are so much more affordable.

They are in pretty short supply in the UK at the moment .. A birding mate wants to try before he buys...

Peter...

I found a comparison with a Nikon Monarch 7 (8x42), which put the Nikon ahead (the Zeiss showed more CA in daytime viewing, which does not bode well for night-time). 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the Zeiss 8x42. I have yet to try them from a really dark site but from the center of my light polluted city, they perform the same as my Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 (better coatings and light throughput I guess) and definitely trump my Celestron 15x70 (which is in actuality a 15x63) due to astoundingly more contrast and stray light control.

There are other options to consider such as the Nikon Monarch 5 or Monarch 7 and also the Vanguard Spirit 8x42 or 10x42 ED. Plenty of reviews available especially on Birders' forums. 

I have the Zeiss 8x42. I have yet to try them from a really dark site but from the center of my light polluted city, they perform the same as my Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 (better coatings and light throughput I guess) and definitely trump my Celestron 15x70 (which is in actuality a 15x63) due to astoundingly more contrast and stray light control.

There are other options to consider such as the Nikon Monarch 5 or Monarch 7 and also the Vanguard Spirit 8x42 or 10x42 ED. Plenty of reviews available especially on Birders' forums. 

I found those reviews as well, and decided they were not in the same league as the higher-end Zeiss bins, so decided against buying a pair. Having made a comparison under superb conditions between my Helios Apollo HD 15x70 (which is in a totally different league from the cheap BA-1 types like the Celestron Skymaster) and Olly's Leica 8x42 Trinovid, I do not feel the need for a smaller pair of astro bins, although I might want a pair for birding. My current 10x50s perform well enough there, although a better pair would always be nice. They are beginning to show their age a bit as well (nearly 20 years). I recollimated them and readjusted the bridge which reduced wobble greatly, but a new pair might be needed at some point. Still like them, and their VERY wide FOV (7.0 deg true FOV)

Michael,

Your Helios are of extremely high quality and mounted properly, are excellent astrobins.

I would consider if I were in your shoes a 8x42 which is easy to handhold and provides a much larger FOV to the Helios, to complement that binocular.

But as you say your 10x50 are serviceable so not really necessary to change them.

Happy-Kat, the Granites have received very good reviews as well. I only bought the Zeiss because they were readily available and I could also test them before purchasing. I was happy with what I was seeing, hence I took the plunge.

If they were not available, I'd be looking at the Monarch 7 / Granite / Spirit..

Michael,

Your Helios are of extremely high quality and mounted properly, are excellent astrobins.

I would consider if I were in your shoes a 8x42 which is easy to handhold and provides a much larger FOV to the Helios, to complement that binocular.

But as you say your 10x50 are serviceable so not really necessary to change them.

I have no problems holding the 15x70s still for shorter observations, the p-mount is handy for longer ones. I even held 20x80 Vixen Arks for a while in Tuscany. I really do not use my 10x50s for astro much anymore (they only add anything to the experience  for the Hyades, really).

A lighter pair of bins would be nice at times, but doesn't have priority (Quark comes first :D)

Archived