SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars this morning 21-7-05

russ

Hi all,

Like a looney i got up this morning at 2.45am to grab a peak at Mars. Wasn't expecting much considering it's current size and how far off opposition we are. But it turned out to be a real treat. It's better positioning in the Sky is already paying dividends with Mars already riding higher than at any time in that lousy flippin awful 2003 encounter.

Polar cap and surface markings no problem. And it's showing a nice crescent phase right now. Plus that colour. The naked eye colour is awesome, no missing it.

May have an image or two later depending on how the Avi's all look. Processed one and it's okay considering.

I'm not up Mars features so i'll let you all guess the feature when i post an image.

If you get the chance take a look, it's already worth the effort.

Russ

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little Report Russ, sounds like mars is gonna be hell of a ride this year :)

I looked a couple of weeks back it was poor mainly due to the seeing and coming Sun.

Look forward to your image..

James :)

Hi Russ,

Sounds like it was worth getting up though! Mars is still very small (11 arc seconds) and if you could see some surface detail already then it bodes well for later in the year.

Looking forward to seeing the images.

Ant

Hi Gaz and James,

It's well worth the effort. Best around 3am, and the brightening sky holds off long enough to view Mars through to 3.45am.

I used the 127 Mak at 100x and 250x. The image held up very well at 250x but was failing at 330x.

Russ

Well here's the pic I took this morning. Not brilliant but i'm happy considering how tiny Mars currently is. Bodes well for September onwards.

Specs are:

Skywatcher Skymax 127 & EQ6. Tele Vue Powermate 2.5x. Toucam Pro II. 551 images stacked.

Mars210707c.jpg

Russ

Nice going Russ... looking forward to doing this myself!!. Will the adaptor thats on its way for the sc1 allow me to drop it into my barlow for planet stuff?.

Rob

Fantatsic First images of Mars this Year Russ kudos to you on getting them too :) .

The images a quite a bit bigger than i was expecting too. Do you know what features you have recorded yet?

James

Astroman, your certainly know you stuff. A walking book of astronomy facts. Just wish my brain would hold a fraction of the info you have.

James/Rob, i'm dead chuffed with the images. As you pointed out, wasn't expecting anything to that scale or detail.

Gaz, good luck with any Mars observing/imaging. Certainly not looking as good as last night weatherwise...Metcheck giving 62% cloud for 3am in Hampshire.

Anyhow, this going to be a great opposition! :) Really going to savour Mars this year.

Russ

Nothing to it, really. You show enough people Mars through a telescope, you answer the same question 50 times, some of it sticks. :) Besides, with a small telescope, you only have to memorize 2 or 3 regions because you can't see individual details. Tharsis is the "featureless" part-not much happening there, it's all light orange. Syrtis Major is the big wedge with round Hellas Basin above. Mare Erythraeum is the other wedge met by Acidalia Planitia, (although spelling "erythraeum" has always been a challenge). Simple, right?

I will now read you some vogan poetry

See, see the nag sky

Marvel at its big pink depths.

Tell me, Andy do you

Wonder why the dog ignores you?

Why its foobly stare

makes you feel knacked.

I can tell you, it is

Worried by your rosesnugle facial growth

That looks like

A milk.

What's more, it knows

Your cockle potting shed

Smells of pea.

Everything under the big nag sky

Asks why, why do you even bother?

You only charm poos.

James :drunken:

Nice pics Russ - but your first post bamboozled me a bit. How can Mars appear as a 'crescent'?

Andy, you're absolutely right, must remember to knock brain out of autopilot sometimes.

The film is okay, i know it took a bit of a roasting from the critics but it's okay. Martin Freeman was a good choice as Arthur Dent. I'm a fan of Sam Rockwell anyway, he's pretty good in Hitchhikers (but not as good as his performance in Galaxy Quest).

Did anyone get out last night? Bleddy Metcheck and their crappy forecasting. Crystal clear 11pm and clear at 3am. Didn't have the scope setup so couldn't do anything. :)

Russ

I stayed up till gone 3.00am for Mars but it was too cloudy to see anything this weekend(sunday) is my personal best bet of seeing mars...

As to the film i enjoyed it but couldnt help thinking back the the orignal series and how much i enjoyed that.. My fav part of the new film was when they were transporting to EARTH 2 amazing.

James

Hi All,

Fantastic image Mate. Pretty much as good as my best ever Mars which was taken during the last opposition on the night of closest approach. Yours taken when the Mars disc is only 11 arc sections small... Excellent!

mars.jpg

I set the scope up last night so I was all prepared for observing at 3:30 am - woke up looked out and it was cloudy :)

Ant

Archived