SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Couple of webcam shots M81 & M42

Roy Batty

Seems like ages since I had a chance to use the scope, must be well before christmas?.. anyway got a chance last night and popped in the web cam for a good session on a couple of targets - M81 & M42 ....enjoy and let me know what you think.

3019_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3020_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

RB

Had a go at some processing on my earlier M81 effort above using PSP CS3 & Noiseware. I'm pleased with these initial results on this one but the M42 dosen't show any improvement so I've only re-posted the M81.

RB

3027_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Roy,

They're great shots from the webcam. I am just getting into using my webcam that's SC1 modded to try and achieve similar things. Can you please give me some indication on settings you used to get these views. Specifically what did you have the Gain and Gamma set at and how long were the exposures and many did you take.

cheers

Sam

Roy,

They're great shots from the webcam. I am just getting into using my webcam that's SC1 modded to try and achieve similar things. Can you please give me some indication on settings you used to get these views. Specifically what did you have the Gain and Gamma set at and how long were the exposures and many did you take.

cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

At a guess i expect your using K3CCD? If so this is what i tend to do - once i'm happy with the image focus i then start a preview in LX mode starting at around 5 sec exposure time. Then i'll up the exposure time on the fly depending on what the subject is - For the M81 image i used 24 sec subs X 30 for M42 20 sec subs X 30. At this point you can open up the camera properties and start to adjust the gain & gamma. I must say that most of my shots so far have been with the gamma on it's lowest setting as it seems to create noise if you use it. Gain settings are a bit of a compromise because the higher the gain the more the noise you'll pick up but you'll get more faint detail registering on the image. I recommend you have a play around with a combination of exposure time and gain to get a result your happy with visually. From personal experience it's surprising at the difference in what is visible on screen once you up the LX beyond the 12-15 sec sub time with a gain setting of around 75-85%.

Hope this is not too much of a ramble and that you find some of it useful?

cheers

PS - you'll need to spend a bit of time getting good polar alignment as the amount of usable subs for stacking in your avi is entirely dependent on this.

RB

Thanks Roy,

Some very useful tips there. I spent ages on polar alignment last night and have still some more work to do to get it right - might have a go at drift alignment as well.

cheers

Sam

Archived