Same as BST?

jetstream

I'm quite sure that's the same as BST with different colors, John started a post on BST epshere,  a couple of years back, where a link of comparision between the Pentax XF and Paradigm was referred to.

They are the same eyepiece. Made by Barsta and come out under a few brand names.

The BST's here and the A-T's in the the US are generally the best priced ones.

You can find them under Orion and Olivon as well, TS sell them branded TS ED II's in Germany

The Astro-Tech Paradigm were the original eyepiece, long before the BST was even a twinkle in Alan's (Skies the limit) eyes. The BST is just a clone of the Astro-Tech.

Suppose if strict the Astro-Tech is the clone.

BST is simply the abbreviated form for Barsta (BST), Astro-Tech are buying Barsta ED II eyepieces and having their brand placed on them. Hence they could be considered the clone. Whereas BST are the full proper name.

The world of eyepieces is very entwined, very few seem to actually make their own eyepiece. Unless buying TV and possibly ES they are likely to be a bought in branded item.

Suppose if strict the Astro-Tech is the clone.

BST is simply the abbreviated form for Barsta (BST), Astro-Tech are buying Barsta ED II eyepieces and having their brand placed on them. Hence they could be considered the clone. Whereas BST are the full proper name.

The world of eyepieces is very entwined, very few seem to actually make their own eyepiece. Unless buying TV and possibly ES they are likely to be a bought in branded item.

I was going more by the first marketed eyepiece using that design, rather than who produced it. The BST as we know it didn't appear until much later. And even then it wasn't a BST,  instead marketed as just the Explorer ED with no BST designation. The Orion and Olivion arrived much much later than the A-T. The Paradigm was the only marketed eyepiece for almost a year.

The first time I ever saw this design was under the Astro Tech branding. This favorable review appeared on the Cloudnights forum back in 2009:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1914

What we don't really know is whether all the different brands of this eyepiece design are made to exactly the same specification and quality checking levels or whether there are some variations in lens coatings, internal light baffling etc. The pricing of them certainly varies considerably from brand to brand with the ones that Alan at Skies the Limit has sourced being the lowest cost. I guess you would need to carefully examine and test examples from each brand to determine whether they are exactly the same ?

You make a good point John. My comments were opinions based on what I had read on the Skysthelimit website. Alan admits to receiving these eyepieces with different brandings over the years he has imported them. I don't think I have ever read a bad reoprt about any BST Explorer/BST Starguider/Olivon/Paradigm eyepieces and I have never heard anyone claim they are being cloned. I would be happy to buy any of these variants from a reputable supplier in the knowledge that they should be equivalent and I would buy from the cheapest source, which I did when I bought my 12 mm BST Starguider. I cannot say the same of the so-called "TMB planetary" eyepieces as I know this is a minefiled. Having said all that, nothing would surprise me any more with mass produced equipment and I may, of course, be talking rubbish. The 12mm BST Starguider that I bought by the way is rather good for the money :)

The first time I ever saw this design was under the Astro Tech branding. This favorable review appeared on the Cloudnights forum back in 2009:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1914

What we don't really know is whether all the different brands of this eyepiece design are made to exactly the same specification and quality checking levels or whether there are some variations in lens coatings, internal light baffling etc. The pricing of them certainly varies considerably from brand to brand with the ones that Alan at Skies the Limit has sourced being the lowest cost. I guess you would need to carefully examine and test examples from each brand to determine whether they are exactly the same ?

I was wondering that too John. If you compare some of them, I have seen them come up under different names too, some of which I cannot even recall, on ebay a seller form Germany was selling one for 59 at one point, it had ED on it, nothing else I could see.  If you examine some of the photos, which in part could be due to lighting, some have a noticeably different tint on the top element.  The BST I  would say, when you look at the moon has a slightly warm tone, it is hard to spot, but it matches with the tint on the top element that you see, sort of brownish colour, if that makes sense, some of the look-alikes with different names look to have a more blue tint at times. If I put a SW plossl straight after a BST in my scope, I can notice the difference in tint, though if you were using a BST all night you'd think it was pretty neutral. 

I guess the only way to know there to see anyone else has them, perhaps a star party do a comparison.  Interestingly that 12mm quoted say it weighs 6.4 Oz, STL quotes 7.0 Oz,  could be just a typo I guess, other than that specs appear identical.

Archived