SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best/Favourite EyePiece

ve1drg

2" 32mm Skywatcher Panaview for the majority of the time and then a 12.5mm Series 4000 Super Plossl for close ups. And if I'm going planetary, my 6mm Williams Optics wide angle. These give x40, x100 and x200 on my 8" dobsonian reflector which seem just about ideal

For my grab and go ETX80 reflector, I substitute a 26mm Super Plossl for the Panaview, giving me x15, x32 and x67.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it really depends what I am observing. if planets / doubles / moon then I use the highest power I can get away with right away. if looking at fainter or more extended objects I tend to prefer lower power but again I select the eyepiece which frames the object best or reveals a little more detail due to a well matched exit pupil

I am very fortunate to have a good range of eyepieces and types so can mix and match to suit objects and conditions. my three most cherished/used eyepieces are 26mm 2" widefield, 13mm 1.25" extreme field and 3-6mm 'plossl zoom'.

Globular and open clusters from a dark location, I use a 7mm or 9mm nagler T6, these objects shimmer across the field of view x229. I enjoy using and exploring with my full range of ep's, yet probably use a medium / low power ep (16mm) on a broad range of objects for much of my observing time.

My favourite EP to use was my 32mm Plossl. Sadly it died. I just loved the feeling it gave when searching out faint fuzzies. It was as if i was in a fish bowl looking out. I was just so immersed in the view..........which felt wider then the 50 degrees stated on the EP.

Now i use a Baader Hyperion 8-24 and a 30mm Vixen NPL.

I absolutely love the NPL range.

Archived