Narrowband

What's happening with Lovejoy ?

Just wondering of anyone has observed Lovejoy this week.

We have had clag and rubbish above us since the start of the weekend so I have not seen it

since last Friday.

Must be clear of Usa major about now, anyone know how bright it is looking at present ?

My get a gap tomorrow night or Saturday Morning and I should be back after the blighter.

Mick.

Got a good look at Lovejoy in the early hours of last Sat 23rd, at 00.45UT.

Easy 7x50 binocular object some 2 degrees N Beta Canes Venatici.  Hoofed out the 8"Meade S/C and with the 40mm Plossl giving x50 and a 40' FoV, found Lovejoy to have a tight bright nucleus with a fainter surrounding halo. With averted vision, I had a distinct impression of a short tail extending some 20' arc to the NW.

The last quarter Moon over in the Gemini/Cancer area was noted as annoyingly interfering on the observation......... Sorry all you Lunar lovers!!!

Les

Observed it on Saturday Morning (30th) just crossing into Bootes.

Saw it immediately in the 10x50s and then my finder, I see the Coma is still large and gright, with an even brighter

false nucleus inside that. Unforunately the tail - tailed-off pretty quickly so looks short (as the sky was a bit bright)

but its still a gorgeous sight to see up there.

We've been pretty spoiled with so many visitors this last month or so, LJ, Isno of course wich was in fact pretty good when higher

in the sky, Enke, Nevski and Brewington. It just adds another dinention to Observing when one or more of these chaps come

in from the cold and I'll continue to enjoy LJ until it travels beyond my ken.

Mick

Got a further observation, also Sat 30th Nov, at 04.06UT

Easily seen in 7x50 bins, midway and slightly N of Beta - Gamma Bootes, sporting thin tail some two degrees to the North.

Once position known, I could see Lovejoy with the Naked Eye, though it just looked "stellar" with NE.

Feel sorry for Lovejoy. ISON has been getting all the press interest, while Lovejoy has been simply "getting on with things" and doing what a good comet should. Bravo.  :icon_salut:

Les

I had been expecting something fairly unimpressive, but I had a look for Lovejoy on Saturday morning (30 Nov, 4am) and was pleasantly surprised. Very bright and easy to find, with a clearly defined tail.  There's a nice pic in my Flickr gallery (see signature).

I spotted Lovejoy five days ago through a pair of 10x50 binoculars.

The nucleus was visible, surrounded by green haze and a long tail.

It's well worth getting up to have a look at it or catching it in the evening as it sinks West.

On Saturday morning between 4 and 6 Lovejoy looked great. It was down below the pan handle in the Big Dipper. Again, once located I could see with the naked eye - though it just looked like a faint star. Through my scope with a 10mm it looked as reported above. Also came out well with some shortish exposures of 30 seconds to 90 seconds. Hope to get another look when the clouds clear on Wednesday night in the midlands.

Just had a view of Lovejoy - conditions a bit hazy. Quite well placed 5.30 pm though better in the pre dawn.  It does not seem quite as large a 'blob' as a few weeks back - although a very bright star-light point at centre, with a hint of extension to the north. Good to see it before tea rather than breakfast !

andrew

Got it 06:15 this morning up in Hercules (approaching the lower keystone for the next few days)

It is still really impressive, False Nucleus, Large coma, reasonably long tail, around mag 5.

Go Go Lovejoy.

Mick

I woke up  before my alarm today at 430am.  Went out and found Lovejoy in a second. Beijing's light pollution keeps it from being a naked eye object.

Had to come in because I needed the bathroom so I will write this and go back to sleep. Work is in the afternoon.

it is still in CRB but heading fast into Hercules.

Additional stuff was m35,m36,m37, m38, m43, mars and jupiter and its moons.

not a bad morning :)

Lovejoy's tail seems to be longer than when I first spotted it and has gotten a bit brighter. I would say about 4.8-5.0.

good news is I am moving to a smaller city soon and it is further south. Maybe future comets will be an addition to already lucky position.

- Cheers

Archived